Problems copying "Princess Mononoke"

This is a Mirimax/Studio Gibili movie. This is a tough DVD to get and my player is very sensitive to smudges and scratches so I need to make a backup.

I ripped the DVD to my hard drive using DVDDecrypter. I use IC8 and Deselected everything but the main movie and the menu. I even turned off alternate languages and subtitles. I compress the menu to the smallest possible and increase the main movie file size to the limit and burned to a -RW. The process finished fine and at first it looked like there wasn't a problem, but about 3 minutes into the movie PowerDVD pauses and reports that the disk might be damaged. The original files on my HD run just fine.

I did see a potentially damaging scratch on the DVD so I polished it out and tried again. The same error occured in the same place. I put a different movie on the same -RW disk and it worked fine (???).

I burned the movie again to .pdi files and mounted them in the virtual drive. This also caused the same error in the same place (so the DVD-RW isn't bad). I retried again, but this time I left in titles 1,2,5 and it still failed (3 is a featurette and 4 is a trailer). I am now trying to just burn a full copy of everything including alternate languages, subtitles and DVD-ROM content. If this fails I will try something like CloneDVD. Has anybody heard of a problem like this before and do you have any suggestions.

There is something realy wrong here. Not only does IC8 make bad copies of this movie, CloneDVD generates an error when you start. I guess I will have to see if I can split the movie or something. Has anyone else run into this kind of problem before?

Thanks for the tip Poacher. DVD2one worked just fine. I tried correcting sectors and splitting the movie with DVDFab and it did a little better than IC (got by the spot that IC didn't handle), but the same error cropped up further in. I thought compressing the movie was causing the problem, but when the split version failed I was beginning to think I would never get it backedup.

This was the first DVD I noticed with multiangles. Is that what caused the problem? This was also the first DVD I wasn't able to copy with IC8 and I tried every setting from movie only to full DVD with no effect on the end results. I read a different thread (could have been on another forum) that DVDDecrypter doesn't work as well as smartripper on some DVD's. Have you heard this and is it true? I will have to see if I can find that thread again.