problem with excel

when starting excel it drops to desktop and never opens
what can cause this problem

ive tried reinstalling but it wont do

Hi!

are you simply starting excel or are you trying to open an excel sheet by double clicking?

a similar behaviour is often caused by sheets wich contain macros, the security dialog should pop up and lands some where in nowhere land.

try pressing the left windows key & 'm' at the same time and then click excel in the tray, this usaly helps bringing it to front.

Greetnx

have you upgraded i had that problem when i went 97 to 2000 put in a search and found some info about some fonts that need removed think there was maybe a tool too

did have look on google but cant remember what i looked for :) sorry

it happens when i start it normally or loading a sheet.

and i didnt upgrade. i had 98 before but i installed xp and then office 2000

malbolgia said:
it happens when i start it normally or loading a sheet.

and i didnt upgrade. i had 98 before but i installed xp and then office 2000
Try this:

Open up Word or one of the other office programs you installed. Click on Help and then select "Detect and Repair" or insert the Office CD and select Repair from the splash screen. You will need the Office CD to repair it. Don't know why it happens, but I've seen it before and this usually fixes it.

I'd suggest ditching MS Office and using Open Office 1.1 (beta2), which is by far the best OoO version I've ever used (seriously enough I'm considering ditching Gimp and Photoshop to my other machines and using this one instead...) and now it's not difficult for anyone to find the program advantages over MSOffice...
If I had to use a MS-Office release, that would surely be MS-Office 95 (yep, dont' laugh please...) cause it's the only MS suite (StarOffice 5.2 too) which fully supports tose old, wonderful non-unicode fonts.

Markbot said:
Try this:

Open up Word or one of the other office programs you installed. Click on Help and then select "Detect and Repair" or insert the Office CD and select Repair from the splash screen. You will need the Office CD to repair it. Don't know why it happens, but I've seen it before and this usually fixes it.
this dont work :(

@scarecrow i had installed open office but its for an unkle and some of his clients had problems with the files

Does it just minimize, or go away? If minimized, r-click on the toolbar where it is minimized and select "Mazimize". Had that happen more than once with MS products..

There are some things i'd like to contribute here:

First of all: Apply the latest service packs on office 2k
The original release had some serious problems when installed on a winXP platform.

Try to start excel in safe mode by entering
excel /safe
at the command prompt.

if that does not work try to clear your temp folder, as excel can have some startup problems if the system's temp folder becomes cluttered with too many files.

you can also try to re-register excel with the system by entering
excel /regserver
at the command prompt.

or try to start it without any of its custom toolbars or anything by removing (or even renaming) the XLstart folder located somewhere in your documents and settings folder.

just let us know if any of these worked out.

Last edited: