problem with DAT file Harry Potter the chamber of secrets

Help, I downloaded Harry Potter the movie and when I extract the files it give me a Bin file, so I use Isobuster to see the content and the only big file is a DAT file.....now my question is what should I do with this dat file , I tried to play with PowerDVD but the quality is very bad... Thanks

I don't have a DVD burner just a CD burner and a DVD player.

dat is vcd

the dat file is a vcd file so your best bet (there are proberbly other progs but i use the dreded nero) is to open nero and make a new vcd disc then add your dat file and when the discs has finished writing hey pressto a vcd 2.0 compliant cd which depending on your dvd player should play fine. The quality of the vcd will still be the same as the dat file (this is all to do with the original encoding) as far as i know there are only cam versions of harry potter 2 about at the moment so all of them will be a bit dodgey.

if you burn the bin file with cdrwin or alcohol then you may find this will create a vcd file for you.....surely there should be 2 bin files as most vcds are on 2 discs????? my version of harry potter 2 is a very good cam on 2 discs :)

flyby2001 out....

Try to rename the dat file as mpeg
then you will be able to open the file with any player, but the quality would not be better.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. is theyre a way that I could change format and make it a better quality, if yes how

Just renaming dat to mpeg may cause problems as some apps still may not recognize the file. Use the freeware, VCDGear
http://www.vcdgear.com
for converting it to mpeg.

- LotusFang

Last edited:
You can convert with Tmpeg but If the source is bad converting to another format will not help you much.
PS
"Just renaming dat to mpeg may cause problems as some apps still may not recognize the file."
I know apps which can not regognize dat files but don´t know apps which can not regognize mpeg files. Can you write me please some problems may cause renaming, really don´t have one and want to know! (to avoid them)

Last edited:
I had used Power VCD to access VCD. It was unable to comprehend the format of AVSEQxxx.dat. Win Media Player7 also complained about inability to open the file format (even renamed mpg gave the same message). Hence, I had used isobuster to read the dat file onto my HDD, used VCDGear to convert it to MPEG and was then able to play the clip properly (with both the apps).

I do not remember the app name, but one of the VCD creating apps also complained about the format when trying to write renamed dat file as a VCD. However, conversion to mpg was able to solve the problem.

- LotusFang

Last edited:
As Denexo said, you won't see any improvement in the file quality if the original copy is itself not upto the mark. By using VCDGear just the file format will be changed.

- LotusFang

:confused:
Maybe I have not made myself intelligible.
So I refresh my question:
Extracting the AVSEQxxx.dat file to hard disk and then renaming it to AVSEQxxx.mpeg, what problems may cause?
I think the only problem may be is that the file doesn’t play! (Never had this)
:)
Of course lotusfang your way is the right way, and my way is the easy way. :)

Last edited:
Whoops... sorry for the confusion. By problems, I had meant that the app won't be able to read the file. No other probs.

Also, I faced this only with a few VCDs.

- LotusFang

Last edited:
@denexo.
the dat file is not a true mpeg file.
There are other things added to it.
It may play ok or it may not.
It may also give you problems if you run it through other software, or not.
There are several threads on this matter.

davelml
i wrote: what problems may cause? really don´t have one and want to know! (to avoid them)
Can you point the threads on this matter?