Problem installing 'Cinepak' codec

I'm trying to record my VCR tapes to my PC to convert into DVD format.

I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV tuner. I also have a ATI 9800 Pro video card installed. I’m able to record the video using the WinTV 2000 program into AVI format with no problems but when I import the AVI file into Adobe Premiere and pull the video down to the timeline to edit it does not show the thumbnails like it should. I tried bringing in one of the Adobe sample files and thumbnails showed up fine. When I look at the format of that file it is compressed using ‘Cinepak by Radius’ I have tried to setup the WinTV for ‘Cinepak codec for Radius’ compression but when I try to record I get an error message that says: “Warning: Video compressor not compatible with video format compressor ignored during capture” I have updated the ‘iccvid.dll’ file and this didn’t help. I read on one web site that I needed to go to my ‘Windows add/remove programs’ and install the multimedia. I don’t have this option listed.

Is there another compression format I can use or maybe a different program I can edit the video in and then convert it to DVD format.
Any help is appreciated,

Thanks, Debbie

Thx, but the only reason I like Premeire is because you can do it all in one program.

I was able to use 'Divx' compression my TV Tuner could record in and Premiere would bring the thumbnail in correctly so it is converting just fine now.

Thanks,
Debbie

converting an uncompressed video source into one compressed, lossy format (DivX) with the intention to convert it into another compressed, lossy format (MPEG2/DVD) may be convenient, but it doesn't make sence quality wise; :)

What would be the best format to start with?

I am having some good captures using M-JPEG directshow.

I would love to just capture the video using Adobe Premiere but I don't know how to tell the program where to find the TV-Tuner.

I did install the M-JPEG codec and it does have a lossless option in my TV-Tuner for it. I think that one gave me the same error that is in my first post.

I will try to find a Huffyuv codec and see if it will work.

Well I downloaded the Huffyuv codec and tried it at different settings and it doesn't seem to be any better then the M-JPEG directshow one I'm using now.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong if it's suppose to be better.