problem encoding xvid with virtualdubmod

trying to encode a 2-pass xvid but virtualdubmod throws out this error:

ERROR: VirtualDubMod found this Error: "Video compression error: An unknown error occurred (may be corrupt data). (error code -100)"

I've tried reinstalling the xvid codec but to no avail

Any ideas anyone?

I'm using that version because it's bundled with DVDtoOGM and have been told it best to keep that version.

I've done many encodes with this setup - no problems until now...

Well I am running 1.5.4.1 build 2092 and have been for some time.

You didn't say which build of XviD, also what settinngs? Source is AVISynth script? If so what version and what script? Source resolution? Colourspace? Running fast recompress? Framerate?

well I was hoping that someone would recognise the error code, but I guess it's never quite that easy.

sorry - ok - here goes:

XVID - Koepi's latest stable release

Made a DVD2AVI file (.d2v)
(colour space YUV, field operation none)

29.97 FPS, NTSC, interlaced

XVID settings 1st pass:
Motion serch precision 6
Quantisation MPEG

XVID settings 2nd pass:
Motion serch precision 6
Quantisation MPEG
Min I-frames 2, max 6
Min P-frames 2, max 16
No curve compression
No alt curve

Fast recompress

Did I miss anything out? ;)

You didn't say how you were getting the D2V into VDubMod.

Keopi's latest stable is from last year. Have you tried his unstable build? Better quality and much more settings to play with. It is quite stable as it is pretty much the last build of the dev3api branch, although it does have a few hacks/mods built in.

Also just noticed, you didn't say what res, it should be a mod16 one.

If you have a YV12 source, then I would avoid using full recompress as it will result in a slower and lower quality encode.

If you are indeed using AVISynth to frameserve, then perhaps try AVS2AVI and see if that suffers from the same problems.