Problem after removing Norton Antivirus

Hi,
I have removed NAV Corporate 8 without problems, but now, when I run some DOS apps I get an error error window of the 16 bits subsystem saying something like the app called Symantec\S32EVNT1.dll and that there was an error in the virtual device driver when initializing the dll. It gives me two options: Close (and the app closes) or Skip (and the app starts OK). (See enclosed pic, though it's in spanish).
I have checked the registry and there are several Symantec entries left over I daren't touch alone.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Might be your punishment for using Symantec stuff... :p Since I have not installed any Symantec product for years, excluding Ghost, I might suggest the old and stable "format c:/mbr solution.

borogovio

do a search at Symantec's homepage, you can find standalone removal tools for all their apps by looking in their FAQ;
personally i never had tried these tools, but surely they are an option before formating; :)

Greetings from
Duracell

edit the registery and remove any references for S32EVNT1.dll and see if that helps :)

its a dll that controls the symantec event updates :)

I found information in Symantec's KB but also in Microsoft's (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q254914.ASP) - it seems that it's a problem in Microsoft products and not in Symantec.

The solution Microsoft gives involves deleting a registry key and recreating it:
"...Add Value. Type VDD in the Value Name box, click REG_MULTI_SZ for the Data Type, and then click OK..."

My question now is, how do I make the Data Type REG_MULTI_SZ ? When I try to add a value, I get three options (alphanumeric, binary and dword) which give me for data type REG_SIZ, REG_BINARY and REG_DWORD

Duracell said:
REG_MULTI_SZ = alphanumeric :)
I'm afraid not, if I select alphanumeric I get REG_SZ, not REG_MULTI_SZ.

Could anybody export that single key of the registry and upload it here, so I can import it in mine? The key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD

LTR12101B said:
A quick google found this
http://www.eytcheson.com/help35/html/hs8000.htm
- Perhaps the trial version would sort it?
Yes, thanks, with the trial version I've been able to create the key as REG_MULTI_SZ , leaving the value blank as MS states. :)

According to Microsoft, this SHOULD fix the problem, but it doesn't :mad: Now I don't get the error, but DOS apps still don't work (a DOS box opens and closes immediately) :mad:

Anyone got a hint what is the correct value for this key ??

borogovio said:
Anyone got a hint what is the correct value for this key ??
i still have NAV installed and the VDD-entry points to my S32EVNT1.dll; so i can't help you really;
maybe try it without the VDD-entry;

Duracell said:
i still have NAV installed and the VDD-entry points to my S32EVNT1.dll; so i can't help you really;
maybe try it without the VDD-entry;
Without the VDD entry I get an error (as if it did exist with a wrong value). :(

@ BBB: Tried, but didn't help either.

Thanks, Duracell, though it didn't work either (now it points to a dll I don't have).
And I've tried to reinstall SP4 to see if that fixes the problem, but no luck. :(
I think and I'll give up and format and reinstall everything ... though it irritates me a lot 'cause I've recently done it, and I made a ghost image ... with NAV installed :( :(

borogovio said:
I'll give up and format and reinstall everything
What about installing a clean W2k as multiboot system in addition to the existing installation?
there you can grab the entry and then delete the new sytems after success;

Duracell said:
What about installing a clean W2k as multiboot system in addition to the existing installation?
there you can grab the entry and then delete the new sytems after success;
Well, there's more on this problem than MS says.
I've been able to delete the key and recreate it blank, as MS KB states, still without any luck. :(
So I formatted and reinstalled and I got the key with a blank value, but this time it did work :confused: Moral: there must be something else not pointed in Symantec nor MS KB. :mad:
After installing the antivirus (this time, Avast), it now points to a avast dll. I hope that if I uninstall avast it will behave correctly, but at last I made the ghost image just prior to installing the AV :D
Anyway, thanks for all the help