Power Calibration Error on Liteon 811s

jhendrickx

Hi, I had a Liteon 401s DVD, then I 'upgrade it' to 411s, but this week, just checking around found how to 'upgrade' to 811s, I believe every went okay, but now I got error in 9 out of 10 DVDs ... I'm using the same Blank DVDs I used successfully with 411s (I burned more 100+) ... also I'm using the lastest firmware: HS0R; I'm using Nero 6.6.01 to burn my DVDs ... the Nero infotool reports no inserted disk (although a [blank] disk is in the tray) ...

I want to: a) Solve this problem ... or b) Get back to previous 411s ...

The error message I got in Nero is: "Power Calibration Error", just when starts to burn the DVD

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jean

Using an 0.0 or 0.1 of Nero - very bad move.... were you using that version before?

Whats the ID of the media, and is it trying to burn at 8x or 4x? - if it's going for 8x, try setting 4x - it may be that the drive/media combination is just not good at that speed.

jhendrickx

Well, I installed the versión 6.6.01 just some weeks ago ... I can't recall exactly if this version worked fine ... also my DVD Burner just burns up to 4x ... I 'tryied' to burn at 2.4x / 2x but without results (okay, without not good results) ...

This afternoon, I'll re-install the previous version of Nero (tested, and worked fine) ...

Thanks,
Jean H//

Last edited:

jhendrickx

I did the tests, re-installed previous of Nero (test as working versions in this setup) [V6.0, V6.3.1.15].

I burned a DVD, but it didn't worked (this could be 'normal' since the XBox ISOs are tricky to burn sometimes or the ISO is damaged. Then I tryied to burn a DVD (PC Format, ISO) and it worked flawless ... until the 'end' when the disk was almost done (100%), it reported: "Can make fixation" or something like that ... Also he gave me a message like: 'Can't write the Disk a Once'

There's a easy way to turn the DVD burner back to my reliable 411s?

Thanks in advance,
Jean H//

BTW: I did the 'upgrade' (from 401s to 411s) almost a year ago, so if you provided a detailed instructions will be welcome.

Which upgrade method did you use - and if it involved EEPROM tinkering, I sure hope you saved a copy as it was before - the golden rule of Liteon drive tinkering, you cannot have enough saved copies of the EEPROM as it contains the INDIVIDUAL calibration for your drive (the 401s-411s +R to +/-R hack apparently adds a compromise calibration for -R).

It's not easy - putting 411S firmware back on is trivial with the aid of tools such as the Codeguys Omnipatcher and unofficial firmware update tools, but that won't undo whatever went wrong - it's possible that the 811 firmware you are using is a poor one - which version is it?

jhendrickx

I've tryied several ones (Firmware), I'm trying the HS0Q ... do you recommend this one? or should I get the lastest? (DR8HS0R) ... I got the same errors with the HS0R ... so I went back to HS0K then HS0Q ...

Below is the info generated by Nero info tool:

Thanks for your support,
Jean H//

Nero InfoTool 2.27

Drive Information
------------------
Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S
Type : DVD±R/RW Recorder
Firmware Version : HS0Q
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 2004-04-12
Serial Number
Vendor Specific : 2004/04/12 14:33
Drive Letter : E:\
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 40 X
Write Speed : 40 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User : 5
Changes Vendor : 4

jhendrickx

Still with the problem

Hi folks, I've tryied many suggetions, still I'm getting the 'Power Calibration Error' message when burning DVDs, although I can burn CDs ... I just downloaded the last Nero ... any input?

Thanks,
Jean H//