PLEASE HELP!!! What media do I buy for an LG GSA-4160B???

Hi!

Can someone tell me what the appropriate media is to buy for an LG GSA-4160B??? I guess I also need to know what the difference is between DVD-R & DVD+R, or single layer vs. double layer, etc. I know nothing about DVDR drives... I need your help! :eek: Thank you so much!

Missy

from the net

DVD-R/RW was developed by Pioneer. Based on CD-RW technology, it uses a similar pitch of the helix, mark length of the 'burn' for data, and rotation control. DVD-R/RW is supported by the DVD Forum, an industry-wide group of hardware and software developers, and computer peripheral manufacturers. The DVD-R format has been standardized in ECMA-279 by the Forum, but this is a private standard, not an 'industry' ISO standard like the CD-R/RW Red Book or Orange Book standard.

DVD+R/RW is also based on CD-RW technology. DVD+R/RW is supported by Sony, Philips, HP, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha, and others, and has recently been endorsed by Microsoft. DVD+R/RW is not supported by the DVD Forum, but the Forum has no power to set industry standards, so it becomes a market-driven issue.

Tech details .

DVD+R is a dvd disc that allows multiple layers for one disc where as dvd-r only allows one layer. They will not compete to become the de Facto standard, because they are both here to stay. Multi layer DVD+R can allow extra capacity per disc than DVD-R hence its high cost!

MelissaInFL said:
Can someone tell me what the appropriate media is to buy for an LG GSA-4160B???
best (in compatibility) you can get is "Intenso 8x DVD+R";
i have a list (made by the computer magazine c't) at work about around 5 other compatible brands, will post it when i'm at work again;

Greetings from
Duracell

Viper, Duracell,

Thank you again for such excellent information!! btw, have you ever checked out meritline dot com's website? It's where i purchased my media today based on all your wonderful information. ;)

Have a lovely Christmas!

BIG Hugs,
Missy

MelissaInFL said:
btw, have you ever checked out meritline dot com's website?
checked just now; they don't sell "Intenso 8x DVD+R" which are in fact made by Prodisc and bear the media identification code PRODISC.R03.8;

Meritline does sell ProDisc 8x DVD+R, but they don't report the real media identification code and if the discs are Grade A or rather their recrement;
it's a risk, but if you cannot get Intenso, then you should try a small package of those and use Nero (disc info > Shift+Alt+refresh) to identify the real media identification code;

oh and no "non-cartridge Panasonic DVD-RAM" at Meritline; you should try a local dealer or another online store; :)

found the compatibility list:

Code:
[U]brand[/U]      [U]type[/U]   [U]speed[/U]   [U]media identification code[/U]   [U]rating points (x of 100)[/U]

Fuji       -R      8x     TY G02                      62

[B]Intenso    +R      8x     Prodisc R03                 80[/B]

JVC        -R      8x     TY G02                      62

Maxell     -R      8x     MXL RG                      61

Memorex    -R      8x     CMC MA                      56

Plextor    -R      8x     TY G02                      62

[B]Plextor    +R      8x     TY 0002.5                   81[/B]

Verbatim   -R      8x     MCC 02RG20                  44

Verbatim   +R      8x     MCC 003.8                   49
the list should be valid for LG GSA-4120B, 4160B and 4163B; :)