Pioneer 107 and New Hardware Wizard weirdness

I got a 107 and stuck it in my PC where my Lite-on 24102b used to be. Fired up the PC and got a message that new hardware was detected as expected. Then the add new hardware wizard comes up and asks me to insert a disc or to search for a driver. So I let it search and it didn't find anything.

Now the same thing happens everytime I reboot. I get the new hardware wizard. I've never seen anything like this for adding a drive.

I'm using Windows XP Pro, Pioneer firmware, tried primary and secondary controllers, Master/Slave, installed Adaptec ASPI layer with no change.

Device manager properly identifies the drive, but does not report a driver version. I can not copy DVD-Rs on the fly with Nero or Alcohol.

It will burn images and data files at 4X from the hard drive though.

If anyone has a cure, please let me know.

Thanks.

Markbot said:
Then the add new hardware wizard comes up and asks me to insert a disc or to search for a driver. So I let it search and it didn't find anything.
it can't look for a "drive driver", because all ATAPI devices are native supported by Windows;
i recommend to abort the wizard, then have a look in the device manager, if you find yellow marks anywhere; so i hope you find out what drivers are missed;
i think it could look for fresh IDE controller drivers; so i recommend to remove the whole controller in device manager reboot and update to the latest ones (mostly included in the chipset drivers) while restarting;

and please name us your chipset; might be a problematic one;

Greetings from
Duracell

I know this makes absolutely no sense. I've been using this PC for 3 or so years without any serious issues. I've installed dozens of drives in dozens of PCs over the years and have seen nothing like this.

Device manager shows no problems and no conflicts with this device.

The mobo is an ASUS A7V. VIA Apollo KT133 Northbridge and VIA VT82C686A Southbridge. Here is the manual http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt133/a7v/a7v-104.pdf

i know this board; i owned one for years, never had problems; the latest VIA Hyperion should be O.K. for the IDE controller;

one thing you should consider: the onboard Promise Ultra ATA controller is not made for ATAPI only suitable for ATA devices;
so connect the ATAPI drives (as your DVDRW) to the VIA controller only (page 13, indicator 7) and you shouldn't have problems;