Philips DVD625K

This model is found only in Asia I think, but I believe in other parts of the world it goes under DVD727 or DVD726. Under the asian name it doesn't come mentioned with many features, but that's because they tried passing it off from one of their higher models by disabling some features.
Progressive Scan is one that was disabled (but I got the code for it).
The player is only listed as playing VCDs/SVCDs,Video Karaoke, CDs, Picture CDs, MP3-CDs, CD-R/CD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, but it can also play DVD-R discs. I don't have any DVD-RW discs so I don't know about those.
Another beautiful feature I like about this player is its ability to convert NTSC to PAL (and vise versa) to match your TV system. In other words: it allows you to playback PAL dvds on your NTSC tv in perfect color and everything, likewise allowing you to playback NTSC dvds on your PAL tv. So it is really a universal player.
It also has unlocking code to set as multi-region or single region DVDs. So you can playback any DVD really. Another nice feature is that it memorizes your playback and settings of upto 5 movies (last 5 movies to be exact). That allows you to resume where you left off incase you had to change discs for some reason (eg: gf/bf wants to watch something else even though you didn't finish your movie lol).
I am very pleased with this product and playback performance for all of the above media.
All for just $110-$150USD (payed $116USD for mine) which is less than half of what I payed for a couple of other players I have from more expensive companies ;) . Really a fine gem here people and I highly recommend it.

Ofcourse there are always some cons, but I only have 2 with this one:
1- Remote does not have illuminating buttons to see easily in the dark. So you have to memorize them lol.
2- no DivX playback (don't see upgrade for this model happening, so will need another player for that in future *though I already have a standalone DivX player, but would like all in one).

PS
I'll post the code for enabling progressive scan in next message for those who might be interested (should they buy this unit).

To activate Progressive Scan:
*Please note, you need a TV that supports this feature (eg: CTV/PTV/Plasma)

1- Connect player to Progressive Scan input on back of your TV. Connect DVD625 CVBS video out AV3 (side) and YUV out to AV4 of TV.
2- Power on both units.
3- Press eject key to open tray (DO NOT put any disc).
4- Using player's remote, press 9999 , then AUDIO, then 5. The unit will now enter into standby mode while the tray is closing.
5- Power on the unit and you should see Chinese language on the OSD.
*To restore English, follow these steps with remote:
a- Press MENU-SYSTEM
b- Press OK
c- Press arrow down and "ENGLISH" will be seen on screen
d- Press arrrow right, press arrow up
e- "ENGLISH" now will be highlighted, press OK. OSD language will now be back to English.
f- Press MENU to exit.

That's all folks. Hope this is helpful for others.
DISCLAIMER:
I don't resume responsibility if anything should go wrong with your unit. This is something your serviceman or salesman should do for you.

Why thank you so much for this info.
I know someone who will appreciate this info (inlaws) they also recommend this player to mi. Still my notebook does mi fine.
:D

great to hear RASTA bro!
As long as you have something that works for you, no need to spend more money lol. I needed a new player since my other 2 were giving me trouble. I was comparing the look and function of this Philips, latest from Panasonic, latest from Pioneer, Sony, Union, and a couple of others. This one came ontop for me, simply because it could also read DVD+R/RWs also, while some others could not very well or at all. Plus I found the contrusction of the latest Panasonic cheap. I think their knob will break off eventually lol.

wing48

dvd to AC-3 input

I have the same player too and I thinks it very nice. 1 problem though, my Amplifier does not have a coaxial input for the surround 5.1 channel, instead it has a so called 6 AC-3 input for front left and right, surround left and right, woofer and center speaker which are all RCA connectors.

Is there anyways to connect the dvd player which has a coaxial out to this amplifier of mine?

Thanks so much for your help.

if i don't mix up the wrong things, then "coaxial input surround 5.1" is still for a digital coded surround signal,
and "6 AC-3 input for front left and right, surround left and right, woofer and center speaker RCA connectors" are for analog line level;

the conclusion is you need a surround decoder between or a surround receiver (decoder+amplifier) and not a simple surround amplifier like the one you have;

Greetings from
Duracell

wing48

you are absolutely right. hmmm...issit hard to find a decoder like that or should i just get another amplifier? isnt this a lousy amplfier?

wing48 said:
is sit hard to find a decoder like that or should i just get another amplifier? isnt this a lousy amplfier?
your current amplifier must not be lousy, because real quality equipment is often based of 2 separately devices (decoder+amplifier); this is also the reason that a good decoder often costs the same/more than a cheap receiver; it's your money so it's your choice;

go to your local hifi shop, or phone the product advisor from your favorite online shop; a verbally consultation can not harm;

wing48

Thanks for the lowdown. I will seek some consultation and decide wheter I should go economic or go for quality....Thanks again

kawliganz

question for shadoe_phantom re Philips DVD625K - Multi-region unlock: did I screw up?

shadoe_phantom said:
It also has unlocking code to set as multi-region or single region DVDs. So you can playback any DVD really.
I bought this player today, and I received the unlocking code with my purchase. I pressed the 9999 slowly, and entered 0. That had region 0.
Then I thought I'd be clever and try 9999 and then 2 for region 2. That worked fine too. Then I wanted to put it back to 0, but no go. Did I make a huge booboo? How can I now set it back to 0? :confused: