Persistent 'Device Unplugged' Errors on 2 NICs: Help - Am I goofed in the head?

I'm trying to connect my lappy to my pc. I was having unending problems getting the pc's integrated nvidia 10/100 nic to work (device read as correctly installed but always read as 'unconnected' - Doh!). Consequently, I bought a new d-link 10/100 pci nic and installed it correctly using what are apparently the most recent drivers. In addition, I uninstalled and reinstalled the lappy Intel 10/100 pro nic with newest drivers from Compaq.

In every case, when I connect the ethernet cable to the nic ports of both computers, I get no yellow or green lights. The lan connection icon remains exxed and reads 'Network Cable unplugged'. Ipconfig /all also reads that the device is unplugged.

I'm running sygate PFP on both machines. The network config in the firewall is set to allow full sharing. I've assigned a secure IP address to both local area connections. Still, I figured that firewall and IP assignments wouldn't have any direct affect on achieving a simple, hardware 'plugged' response from the nics (I could be wrong, please say if so).

Last I installed the repective nic diagnostic programs provided by the manufacturers of each nic. I ran the tests, and both registered as functional and correctly installed.

I carefully reterminated the ethernet cable I was using to link them. Then I found a brand new, unused cable that had been suppled by Compaq with the lap. Again, no joy. Regardless of the cable, both nics remain 'unplugged'.

This has gotten ridiculous, and I'm feeling altogether fewlish. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

jonss

catachresis said:
I'm trying to connect my lappy to my pc. I was having unending problems getting the pc's integrated nvidia 10/100 nic to work (device read as correctly installed but always read as 'unconnected' - Doh!). Consequently, I bought a new d-link 10/100 pci nic and installed it correctly using what are apparently the most recent drivers. In addition, I uninstalled and reinstalled the lappy Intel 10/100 pro nic with newest drivers from Compaq.

In every case, when I connect the ethernet cable to the nic ports of both computers, I get no yellow or green lights. The lan connection icon remains exxed and reads 'Network Cable unplugged'. Ipconfig /all also reads that the device is unplugged.

I'm running sygate PFP on both machines. The network config in the firewall is set to allow full sharing. I've assigned a secure IP address to both local area connections. Still, I figured that firewall and IP assignments wouldn't have any direct affect on achieving a simple, hardware 'plugged' response from the nics (I could be wrong, please say if so).

Last I installed the repective nic diagnostic programs provided by the manufacturers of each nic. I ran the tests, and both registered as functional and correctly installed.

I carefully reterminated the ethernet cable I was using to link them. Then I found a brand new, unused cable that had been suppled by Compaq with the lap. Again, no joy. Regardless of the cable, both nics remain 'unplugged'.

This has gotten ridiculous, and I'm feeling altogether fewlish. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers.
This will probably be no help at all but in my experience with computers, I think the key word here is 'Compaq'. Not that they're bad computers, to the contrary, they're very good but just about everything is locked. Even the CPU chips they have manufactured by different suppliers and the bios are for the most part unconfigurable. The same with Hewlett Packard (recently absorbed Compaq). The reason for this is obvious. You, are also 'locked', as a consumer, to their Customer Support. My advice would be to contact them and ask their guidance. You will probably find that many of the 'drivers' for their mb's and chips are written by their own staffers, so, as I said before, probably no help but that's the route I'd take.

jonss has stated a big true. I always have suffered trough hell everytime that want to add a compaq laptop to a network, most of the time solved the issue adding an additional nic, 3com cards had provided better results for me, also the OS play a factor in this questions what are you running?

Einsten

You need a crossed cable or a hub!

catachresis said:

Your problem from what I read, is taht you use a standard ethernet cable shipped with the computer - right=?

Well, that wont work. Sorry....Reason is - the nic uses port 1 and 2 to send and 3 and 6 to recieve....so what u try doing is they talk on same line and listen on same line....so - if you can make a cable, you will want to change one of the side of the cable, so it goes 1-3, 2-6, 3-1 and 6-2.

Or - you can go to a shop and buy a cross cable for direct link with 2 ethernets, or a hub.

Its not your drivers that its anything wrong with.

Hey folks, thanks for your responses.

I'm running Win2K SP2 on both machines.

The cable I made is cross cabled [I was taught orangewhite/orange > greenwhite/blue > bluewhite/green > brownwhite/brown by default].

Maybe the suggestion of getting a hub is a sound one. Certainly it's easier to verify physical cable connection with a hub.

Would anyone else make a suggestion?

Einsten

Well - you can verify the cable with checking them as i described in last post.

A few other things to check is that the network card is enabled. Make sure you plug the cable into the network plug, not a isdn plug.

You have 10/100 network card at one of the comps. Not 100 on one and 10 on one. At the properties of the network card, set them to half duplex. If both are 100 mb cards, set them both to 100mb half duplex.

As long as it shows right in the device manager, it should not be a problem with the driver.

I would then check the cable.

And futher more, configure the protocols so u have ipx/spx and netBEUI. This cuz its the fastest protocols on a small network.

Btw - I would also downloaded sp4. But if u have a dialup - I would do 1 of 2. Either get a friend to download it from the web and burn it on a cd, or go and download the full version so u can install on both comps.