PCI cards

ps2

Can Any brand of PCI ethernet card work for any laptop or do they have to be the same brand as the computer??

PCI or PCMCIA ???

surely PCMCIA as PCI is the interface commonly used in in desktops/towers :)

I would assume they are universal only determined by the drivers for whatever O.S. :)

I have a PCMCIA 10/100 ethernet card (Realtek chip/Planet ENW-3504FC) which works just great, under XP SP1 it does not even need any driver to be installed- when inserted XP autoinstalls the necessary drivers for it, and its ready to run in seconds. It is usable on any old PCMCIA slot or any modern cardbus one, and its price is very reasonable (about 25 $). So far it has woorkede great on an old HP Omnibook, a Toshiba Satellite 1800 series laptop as wel as my current Acer 291 LMi laptop (although the Acer does not need it, it has an internal ethernet interface).

Last edited:
I believe PCMCIA cards are (rather slackly) often called simply "PC Card" (NOT PCI).

The slot is standard, so it should NOT be maker specific - If you need a modem as well, you can find dual cards.

PS. If buying secondhand, be SURE it has the "tail" as those are practically impossible to get hold of. Some cards have a bulky protrusion instead of the tail.