Pc power usage vs TV

Nizmo

Hey me and my dad are arguing over the power usage of the computer and tv. He says the comptuer uses heaps more power than the tv and i say the comptuer uses nothing. With the computer turned on with no speakers or anything vs the tv with sound on normal volume...would any of you be able to say how much $$$ that would cost per month or a power usage chart? My dads being annoying complaining about me leaving the cable modem on overnight and i say 4 little lights use no power at all.

Nizmo said:
Hey me and my dad are arguing over the power usage of the computer and tv. He says the comptuer uses heaps more power than the tv and i say the comptuer uses nothing. With the computer turned on with no speakers or anything vs the tv with sound on normal volume...would any of you be able to say how much $$$ that would cost per month or a power usage chart? My dads being annoying complaining about me leaving the cable modem on overnight and i say 4 little lights use no power at all.

I would guess for average user about less than an 100 watt lightbulb although psu's are rated at upto 500watts for the average user they are low power consumption i would guess at about 60-80 watts peak maby less ?! :)

but dont ask me to do the maths lol ....now you tell us how much a TV uses :)

I just found this chart not sure if its up to date but shows a 30inch tv uses almost double what a computer uses :)

DVDRBASE/Nizmo .............. 1

DAD..................... 0

lol :D

just lay off using the TOASTER lol :p :D

Attachments

Router, cablemodems etc. normally run from a little plug-top PSU, or have a similar set of parts inside .. 6-12W at most.

Depending on the level of power management, the power used by a PC varies considerably...
Even with no management at all, the CPU and graphics use considerably less than maximum when not under load.

If you are not in the habit of leaving the system on and unused for long periods, I would not recommend putting the hard disk through extra startup cycles by allowing it to turn off after a given time interval. Whare PC's are left on overnight in offices, then if policy is not changed to shut them down, then they should be fully power magaed.