PC Locks up while trying to burn

I'm working on someones pc (fresh install windows xp, latest service pack, 500mhz, 128megs, hp pavillion 8490) and I tried to burn a audio cd (cdcopy) with the latest versions of Nero and NTI and the pc appears to lock up while it first starts to recognize the drives (which is LG DVDrom drive, the burner is a 48x unknown at the moment, didnt feel like pulling it out to look at it). It doesn't really lock up, but takes at least 15 minutes before it is done recognizing the drive (actually it is the DVD drive because it is the only one with the light flashing because of activity). I've tried the latest aspi drivers (4.7x and went back to the 4.6x with no luck). Havent found any updated drivers for the dvd rom yet, don't know if I what to try for any firmware on it just yet either, because that wonderful program burnatonce lets me copy cd2cd (copy on the fly) with no problems. Does anyone have any quick suggestions, my head hurts at the moment...hope I listed enuf nfo...lata!

Check your IDE connections, put both optical drives in the same channel and make the burner to be the master.

Also look out for the latest chipset drivers for your mobo and the latest IDE drivers, if your mobo has an intel chipset try using the Intel accelerator.

Windows XP on Pentium 500/128MB RAM is surely a bad idea- you will fall most of the time out of resources. You will need at least 256 MB of RAM to make it work decently.
For now you have to use very light applications. And of course you must also disable IMAPI.

Hmm!

Thankz for tha responses. Since it is a HP, of course I went to their website first for any updates, none available for the mobo or that LGDVD. Just for kicks I hooked up a spare cd-rom and of course it will burn cd2cd w/no problem. I'm gonna hook up the dvd to anotha system just to see what happens. I'll probably goto the mobo manufacturers website and update the drivers for it, still trying to convince the person to order anotha stick of memory. Oh, I tried the LG as a slave to the burner and then to the harddrive already, both with the same results. Maybe bad DVD, but won't know until I hook it up elsewhere....I LUV 'PUTERS!!! Thankz again!

scarecrow said:
Windows XP on Pentium 500/128MB RAM is surely a bad idea- you will fall most of the time out of resources. You will need at least 256 MB of RAM to make it work decently.
For now you have to use very light applications. And of course you must also disable IMAPI.
Not sure what the min' spec' is for windows xp scarecrow but I run xp on my desktop, which is an Amd athlon xp 2200+@1.8Ghz with 384Mb of ram. Obviously it runs nice and fast but I also run xp on my old laptop which is only a P11 @ 366Mhz. You can see that the laptop is not as fast as the desktop but it's perfectly usable, slower but none painfully slow.

Just my bit of feedback...

....DreeM :)

@ DREEMTHEEF

Not sure what the min' spec' is for windows xp...
The readme in the cd set the minimum to:

- Pentium MMX
- 64 Mb RAM
- 2 Gb HD

And in the same file they recomend:

- Pentium III
- 128 Mb RAM
- 10 Gb HD

I wonder if someone at M$ does ever really use this settings.

XP needs real PIII (not Celeron) 450 Mhz or faster and at least 192 MB of RAM to run quasi-decently.
Pentium MMX- 64 Mb RAM- 2 Gb HD is a bad joke, the disk would be filled right after the XP installation... actually not even Win 2000 can run properly in such a machine- it were quite slow in a Celeron 600/3.1GB HD/128MB RAM that I had them running for a while.

Last edited: