PC Cant see MY CD and DVD Drives - Help !!!

voodooboy

Hi
I was wondering if someone can help me ?? I recently installed an old version of Roxio CD creator to carry out a simple task that Nero couldnt do however after installation XP booted up with the Blue screen of death. Therefore I had to reboot in safe Mode, uninstall Roxio and bingo - No blue screen of death (possibly an XP SP 2 bug again !!!) However the problems then really started to happen as after uninstalling Roxio my PC couldnt see either my CD-RW (D:\) drive and my my dual (E:\) DVD/CD-RW drives. I uninstalled and re-installed the drives (as sugested from Microsoft help/technical support) but I received the message that the drivers may be corrupt or missing error (Code 39) I looked this error code up on Microsofts Website and it said it was a common problem experienced when uninstalling Roxio 5.1 (thanks !!) or earlier and to overcome it a few registry keys needed deleting !! I did that and now I can see CD and DVD drives back but I am still having problems !!

I re-installed Nero (whichMicrosoft also suggested). As it stands I can do a straight forward burn to CD's but usually get a "Power Calibration error" when deleting files from a CD-RW or a DVD-RW and also get "Power Calibration Errors" more often than not when I burn to a DVD-RW or DVD-R (tried different media and it happens on various makes) I have since loaded the latest Firmware to the DVD (NEC 2500A) and this has helped reduce the number of "Power Calibration Errors" that I get but the worrying thing that I have noticed, which i think lies at the root cause of my problem, is that when I have a blank CD in my CD drive (or a DVD in my DVD drive) and try to drag and drop mp3 files onto it via Exporer (I used to use this method for quick burning of mp3's to CD through Media Player) I get the error message that the "Drive is inaccessable - Function Error"

I was told to restore the System to a point before Roxio was installed and uninstalled but unfortunately (unknown to me) the System restore was disabled so that wont work !! I have now come to a brick wall so please please can anyone help
Cheers

try installing ASPI follow woodys guide on how to and where to download here :)

then see if it works any better :)

power calibration is usually down to poor media or bad quality media :(

voodooboy

Thanks for the help but the main problem I think is due to the fact that I am unable to open a CD-R/CD-RW or DVD-R/DVD-RW drive in Windows Explorer when a blank CD-R/CD-RW or DVD-R/DVD-RW is inserted in the disk in the drive, which results in a "Drive Inaccessible" and "Function Error message"

IN THE SAME thread above have you disabled the windows on board recording as per screenshots and enabled DMA on all drives ?!

Why dont you reformat the drive couse roxio is well known to cause a problems.
Anyway there is a free nero tool which could help you(register checker)..
I has a same problem with disappering driver long time ago..
Anyway,be carefull with roxio :)