passwords

Hello all,
heres the deal so you don't think I'm hackin; I am currently working on a friends personal pc trying to get it back up and running because his children 2 teens and one maybe a couple yrs younger f***ed it up by trying to fix something with the recovery disk, well she shut down before it was done and lost everything.
Now I have it back up BUT my friend says that he wants ALL passwords disabled, witch I did with the admin tools, however she did it, I don't know how, but one of the kids managed to password protect a MS word Doc.
My ? Is there a way to, as the admin. disable passwords in MS word? this witch will probally start WWIII with kids v/s parents, but that's not my prob. DAD WANTS IT HIS WAY.
any help would be great

TIA
crater

The password protection for word docs, is in the doc it selv . If you can get at the document, it does not matter what you are. You must use a tool , like passware or another tool to get the password.

svgusta

yep used passware and was able to come up with password.
but is there a way to turn this option off? or is it (passwords option) built into Word without a way to disable it?

Maybe this will help

Disabling Password Protection
Several of the Office 2000 applications give users the ability to help protect documents by setting a password. You can disable the command bar buttons and menu bar items that are used to set passwords in Access, Excel, and Word by setting a policy.

To disable password protection for Access, Excel, and Word

In the System Policy Editor, double-click the Default User icon.
In the Properties box, click the plus sign (+) next to the application you want to change.
Click the plus sign next to Disable items in user interface, and then click the plus sign next to Predefined.
Select the Disable command bar buttons and menu items policy.
For Access, select the Tools | Security | Set Database Password check box in the Settings for Disable command bar buttons and menu items box.
For Excel, select the Tools | Protection, Tools | Protection | Protect Sheet, Tools | Protection | Protect Workbook and Tools | Protection | Protect and Share Workbook check boxes in the Settings for Disable command bar buttons and menu items box.

For Word, select the Tools | Protect Document check box in the Settings for Disable command bar buttons and menu items box.

Users of Word and Excel can still set password protection

In Word and Excel, users can still set passwords for a file by using the Save As command (File menu). Setting a policy to lock down the command bar buttons and menu bar items for password protection does not prevent users from taking advantage of this alternative.

For example, in Word, users can set a password for a document by clicking Save As on the File menu, and then in the Save As dialog box, clicking the Tools menu and then clicking General Options. The Save tab is displayed and includes two options that allow users to set a password for the file: Password to open and Password to modify. Excel makes similar options available through the Save As command (File menu).

See also
You can use system policies and the System Policy Editor to lock down many other Office options. For more information about using the System Policy Editor, see Using the System Policy Editor.

Hope this helps

Cheerz

Siriosys

Which OS is He/She using???

If it's Win2k or XP, you could possibly set up profiles which gives you a greater degree of control over what the 'subordinant' profile will allow the user to do.

If the disk is set up with NTFS, they can use the security features of the OS to protect their own files.

This way, the kids can play on the machine with their own login and, if set up correctly, can't do ANYTHING!!!....only what you want'em to.

Cheerz

Siriosys

@Siriosys
windoze xp pro
MS Office 2000
Yea I have set the users profiles correctly However something I did'nt know is that if we turn off password protection for the users account the password will expire. only a admin account will open.
I think this is due to the PRO edition where passwords would be more used that say the Home edition. and as you said "In Word and Excel, users can still set passwords for a file by using the Save As command (File menu)." This is still the plain facts of life, even if we want to, MICROS__IT won't let us.
anyway, my opinon is a stern talking to(the kids) would solve the prob. faster than calling me to force there pc to do things it dos'nt want to do.
Thanks for the info I'm sure it will be helpfull to others as well as just for myself.

crater

:eek: crater have a read of this for password expire

Stop Password Expiration

If you want to do this for all users, enter:

Start / Run / net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited

If you are getting an error message that your password is about to expire:

Right click on the My Computer icon
Select Manage
Go to Local Users and Groups / Users
Right-click on the user you want to change
Select Properties
On the General tab, check Password never expires
Click OK

Also more tips can B found here to XP tips Good luck.