P4 478 3.2ghz

02coled

hello
i have read on an ebay listing i was glancing at said that the 3.2ghz Northwood 512kb L2 cache is faster than the 3.2ghz Prescott 1mb L2 cache both on 800FSB is this true or just the seller trying to fool people
thanks
Damian Cole

02coled

what cooler would you recomended to use on a P4 478 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB L2 CACHE
thanks
Damian Cole

To answer the first question:
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2004/05/17/p4_northwood_and_prescott_comparison_at_4/page6.html
OpenGL (professional graphics) - favours Prescott
DX8 game - favours Northwood
DX9 (3dMark 2003) - favours Prescott

And so it scatters - the Prescott was supposed to be a step forward, but it had boosts in some areas and compromises in others.

As for heatsinks:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Arctic_Cooling_519.html
The freezer 4 may be worth a look, if you like vertical format coolers - the 7 is often recommended as a quiet/effective cooler for the later socket (775), and the 4 seems to be the same sort of thing for 478.

Hi,

Just wanting to let you know that I have the prescott P4 478 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB L2 CACHE CPU and am running it @ 960FSB or 3.841GHZ.
I am using the Thermalright XP-90 with a 92mm fan and the highest temp I get a FULL load is 48C. (BurnMax is an excellent program to test heat. It'll work your CPU harder than Prime95) I've never seen it go higher than 50C. I've had it for almost a year now, overclocked too...
I'm extremely pleased with this cooler.

You can check it out here:
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/thermalright_xp-90/page2.shtml

Regards,

02coled

hello
i just ordered the same as you DD51 the P4 478 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB LC CACHE and i currently have a AERO 7 cooler but it struglles to keep my Celeron D 2.9ghz under 50 celcius and so im quessign it to struggle with the P4 and so am considering a new HEATSINK and fan and also would like to do a small OC any more suggestion for HEATSINKS would be brillaitn and also LOW BUDGET water cooling set ups and if there any good and have seen some COMMENTS saying how air cooling was better than them lol
thanks
Damian Cole

xSlyPandax

Good god 02coled, if i remember you spent ages trying to find some spare part from your heatsink cause you ruined it lol and now you need to replace it all *Again*. Pish.

02coled

xSlyPandax said:
Good god 02coled, if i remember you spent ages trying to find some spare part from your heatsink cause you ruined it lol and now you need to replace it all *Again*. Pish.
xSlyPandax nah last time i had to replace the HEATSINK RETENTION MODULE as it was from a DELL and had a special heat sink which intergrates with the GREEN SHROUD found on them and so i had to remove it and get a normall 478 RETENTION MODULE i did have to buy another heatsink i brouht a AERO 7 COOLER only cause it was cheap and the first one ending on ebay lol:) but have found it not the BEST heatsink and struggles to keep my CELERON D 2.9 below 50celcius so am quessing i need a BETTER one for the NEW P4 3.2 HT
so i dont know were you got that from
thanks
Damian Cole