overheating problem

My P4 2Ghz Medion computer has developed an overheating problem recently.

I run speed fan or similar and it shows that both my hard drives are running at something between 45 and 40 centigrade.

Is there a dignostic prog that may help me find the fault?

Steve.......

Have you lowered the FAN speeds - on some systems, SpeedFan can do this- and may need the fan/temperature profiles adjusted.

Since 2 hard drives are unlikely to be standard fitment, is that a recent addition, and are they spaced apart if possible?

I don't know of anything that would make hard drives run hotter than normal, not even sure if that's exceptional - even running completely open while copying drive to drive during fitting, mine were warm to the touch.

More airflow is the only answer.... fit a front fan if there isn't one already (most cases have a position with a carrier inside), or look into underplate or bay fitting drive coolers.

http://www.cybercpu.net/review/spire/hdcooler/ - a typical underplate cooler - and from the temps noted from a warm-running IBM 7200RPM drive, you MAY have a problem, on the other hand, for the really hot 10,000 rpm drives in another cooler test, achieving 39-43C WITH a cooler was considered acceptable.

If it's only recently got warmer, I'd expect you may have a failed case fan.

Last edited:
As LTR12101B said, and :

Try cleaning your case fans(if any), its truly amazing how much dust a pc can gather :D

DTemp should be able to tell the hdds smart status.

Check with your hdds manufacturer for recommended max operating temp.

Generally hdds running at 7200rpm should recieve some sort of cooling(imho)

As a side note, ive had both ibms and maxtors running (without cooling) between 45 and 52 (not recommended though;)) and their still alive:)