optical mouse

i have a genius wireless optical mouse

about a month ago the precison went to hell its gotten worse than a normal ball mouse

is there anything i can do

Try replacing the battery... or pick it out after being fully charged and measure the voltage with a polymeter- if it deviates a lot from the nominal output then it's certainly the reason of the mouse behavior.
Batteries on wireless mouses tend to die pretty fast.

Clean the lens area with a small, soft paintbrush?

Have you changed the operating surface recently - Optical mice use a B/W CMOS camera sensor, with the LED sidelighting the surface to emphasize texture - doesn't need to be much, but any surface with clear reflections will be poor.

whats the best type of mouse pad for good presicion i placed a really old one i had and its gotten better i also cleaned the lens but still leaves a lot to be desired

yeah with poacher here it failed to work on me desk but pad worked great :)

that was untill i snapped the mounting axel of the mouse wheel doh too much gameplay is bad for yer mouse lol :)

Or less abrasive on the pads, a fabric topped mousemat (preferable to vinly topped for optical) - ordinary paper is quite an abrasive medium.

Actually, I use mine on a plastic surfaced "Hama Net Board" - since there's no room on the keyboard slide tray