Opera 8.50 Feel Free

Why we're going free

Opera has removed the banners, found within our browser, and the licensing fee. Opera’s growth, due to tremendous worldwide customer support, has made today’s milestone an achievable goal. Premium support is available.

http://www.opera.com

:D

Nobody saw that coming, so what was the point of the "Anniversary offer" then ????

Does anyone else feel suspicious that they may have replaced the VISIBLE banner with more insidious spyware tracking?

It may seem churlish, but in this day and age, you HAVE to look a gift horse in the mouth, and mind it doesn't spit at you. Call me an old cynic, but unless they are going to pack in any further development, I can't see how they will survive on the "donations" made by those who choose premium support, when it is not organized as a volunteer project.

The more I think, the more it seems to bring the question...

Are they throwing in the towel?

Unless Microsoft are actually banned from bundling the browser with the operation system, the entire PC market for alternative browsers consists of those who actively decide not to use the supplied Internet Explorer, though the level of security scares compared to the competition is one reason to ditch it, while the compatibility problems with sites that fail to consider other browsers is one reason not to.

Out of the people who choose not to use Internet Explorer (directly), some will go for Mozilla and it's derivatives and others will use a browser which is actually a frontend to Internet Explorer.

It beats me who would choose to buy Opera, and I sure as hell wouldn't put up with adware when there are ad-free alternatives, so it also beats me who would pay for premium support, except when they already have a problem.

Thats great news, cheers for the info guys :)

@LTR, i doubt they will use hidden adware in it as usin the google ads did hurts its rep a bit :)

BaNzI :D