Old NTFS Permissions still there?

Hi,

My desktop has 2 HD partitioned like this: HD 1 with C:\, D:\ and E:\. HD 2 with Z:\.

I've reinstalled XP a couple of times with it. I only format C:\ which has only Windows on it, and D:\ which is my ProgramFiles folder.

Today I realised that I have weird permission in the E:\ which has all the "My Documents" folder for all people using the computer. For example, I cannot set permission on E:\<Me>\Mp3 for "everybody" and there is 2 accounts names only with a SID... I've never touch it and I'm the only admin on the computer. Right now I'm trying to create a new folder in E:\<Me> and I can't!!! Its freaking me out... Why can't I set any permissions? Why can't I create folder? Could it be fom an old XP installation??? Only <Me> from an old installation has rights for the folder?

If so, how can I reset this? And if not, what can it be???

Thanx!!!

Hum...
its ketting weirder and weirder...

Look at the attachments, I can't create a new folder/file under My Documents, cannot set any permission on my folders, the admin group is empty, and my user is not part of any group ??

Attachments

hi pal,i c u look like a restricted user ,did u tried creating another user name with admin level or have u tried loggin as Administrator or Administrateur[assuming it exists 4 frenched xp] ? ;)

bevore distributing permissions you have to make yourself to the owner of the drive/folder(s); use the "Parametres avances" button in your second picture;

Greetings from
Duracell

Duracell said:
bevore distributing permissions you have to make yourself to the owner of the drive/folder(s); use the "Parametres avances" button in your second picture;

Greetings from
Duracell
Ok, I'll try this the next time I'll play with permissions :rolleyes:
If I format my C:, which host only windows (programs on D:\, personnal data (My Documents for every users) on E:\) will thos uglly permissions go away? I'm leaving soon from where the computer is used and I want to leave them something clean...

thanx guys :)

big_gie said:
If I format my C:, which host only windows (programs on D:\, personnal data (My Documents for every users) on E:\) will thos uglly permissions go away?
they won't go away, because the permissions for E:\ are stored at the E:\ partition itself;
if you format C:\ only, you will get a new SID again; new SID means additional user(s) = additional permissions;

Duracell said:
they won't go away, because the permissions for E:\ are stored at the E:\ partition itself;
if you format C:\ only, you will get a new SID again; new SID means additional user(s) = additional permissions;
Thanx m8, thats what I thought.

I've made a bit of search and I've found this utility:
SubInACL
Microsoft.com said:
SubInACL is a command-line tool that enables administrators to obtain security information about files, registry keys, and services, and transfer this information from user to user, from local or global group to group, and from domain to domain.
I changed it like this:
Code:
subinacl /subdirectories "E:\UserFolder" /setowner=DomainName\UserNamer
subinacl /subdirectories "E:\UserFolder\*" /setowner=DomainName\UserNamer
and I'm calling the tool from inside my XP install cd so I won't have to enter this each time :)

thanks guys!