Oh did I mention I just got ADSL
Merry Christmas to me. Oh yes thats right, it rocks & rolls :D

Nice Christmas present to you! :D

Merry Christmas! :)

spottydog said:
Merry Christmas everyone, :)
Oh did I mention I just got ADSL
Merry Christmas to me. Oh yes thats right, it rocks & rolls :D
I bet you want to go back to dial up. NOT, I know I don't. Merry Christmas, enjoy your ADSL. :D

congrats i'm still stuck with dialup. My only other option is satellite, just can't make myself cough up that kind of money..

nice one spotty dog :)

best thing i found to abuse my broadband so far other than the usual is on STREAMING RADIO :) millions of free stations out there to listen to while reading and answering posts here :)

That and internet TV news and other stuff out there :)

to those on 56k dialup ..... OUR SYMPATHY is with you WE were all there once :)

It plain sucks that some unfortunate souls out there may NEVER get to experience hi speed net access :(

On the bright side for 56k users ......BROADBAND encourages you to waste even more time on the net and not a lot else in your life sometimes :(

So consider slow net access as a BLESSING in disguise for at least that :)

VIPER_1069 said:
nice one spotty dog :)

best thing i found to abuse my broadband so far other than the usual is on STREAMING RADIO :) millions of free stations out there to listen to while reading and answering posts here :)

That and internet TV news and other stuff out there :)

to those on 56k dialup ..... OUR SYMPATHY is with you WE were all there once :)

It plain sucks that some unfortunate souls out there may NEVER get to experience hi speed net access :(

On the bright side for 56k users ......BROADBAND encourages you to waste even more time on the net and not a lot else in your life sometimes :(

So consider slow net access as a BLESSING in disguise for at least that :)
My `blessing` is Mrs Spottydog has stopped bending my ear about `not being able to use the phone\no one can get through`
AND the young dogs can use THEIR pcs to access the net without hogging mine :D :D :D
Now, if I could just get the hang of using newsgroups (of which I totally suck) I will be laughing
p.s. Sorry for those with no chance to experience `The Fat Pipe` :(
ONLY 5 more hours and I`ll be enjoying some Christmas spirit :p :D

news groups come and go but ........unless you subscribe to a really good one thats not filtered to heck and back then they are a waste of time and space ;)

shop around thats my best xmas advice to you :)

Laz

BitTorrent is great too, but can be sloooow at times.

I've just waited 5 hours + for a 350mb TV eb to d/l on a 1mb line :(

Not always that bad though, just depends on the seeding and how new it is.

Laz said:
BitTorrent is great too, but can be sloooow at times.
Gotta disagree. BT is the best/fastest P2P protocol out there, but needs some expertise to setup... You can kill your bandwidth completely with it, even when applying pretty moderate settings.

Laz

scarecrow said:
Gotta disagree. BT is the best/fastest P2P protocol out there, but needs some expertise to setup... You can kill your bandwidth completely with it, even when applying pretty moderate settings.
OK then kind sir, please tell me best way to set it all up then if you could. :)

I am running Shadow S-5.8.7 (which most say is best) on a 1mb line using a D-Link DSL-300G+ ethernet modem, Sygate Pro 5.5 firewall on Win XP. I have so far tried the "unlimited" and "fast dsl" settings in Shadow but I still find it very slow overall. :(

Using here the REAL champ: Azureus... best BT client by far, although a bit on the hungry side, resources-wise (natural- it's a java based client).
Under settings/transfer, I've set max.simultaneous downloads to 5, connections per torrent 15, max.uploads per torrent 4, max.upload speed 11. Using more simul downloads results to crawling, using more upload connections virtually bans me from browsing... Connections per toreent is a slightly more flexible setting, my "15" is rather empirical.
That is for my "slow" 384/128 ADSL connection, you can adjust yours according to your D/U speed.
In 95% of the cases my BT download speed is 3-4 times faster than any "Mule variation"... I am using MLDonkey, which is surely buggy (although not less than the majority of Mule variations) just because a. It can run as a service, using zero CPU cycles and 5-6MB of RAM, b. is multiprotocol, bittorrent included (but the implementation is still very crappy, eg the uploads are killed once you finish downloading, so some torrent sites have blacklisted it... plus more annoyances), c. Not really faster than Donkey/Overnet, maybe a tad slower, but the search option returns much more results, d. It can be controlled remotely AND completely via Browser or Telnet with or without SSL (putty). In fact, it's best GUI is the embedded browser one.
Not a bad set of options for a P2P client, isn't it?

Last edited:

Laz

Thx m8 for the above. :)

I was tempted to try Azureus after giving up on Shareaza for a BT client, just love the Shareaza Gui for multiple BT d/l's but as a client it sucks! But I went back to Shadow experimental and thb not found it any quicker really.

Will give the above a try later scarecrow, cheers! :)

Laz

So far d/l speeds do seem much better but will see how long it takes in total to d/l 800mb file I am trying now. Now that is what I call a Gui too! :cool: I simply hated the Shadow Gui as you have to have an instance of the prog running for each d/l which to me is stupid as we are now in 2003, the Azureus Gui is very similar to Shareaza which I like for multiple BT d/l's.