Official Unattended XP CD Guide (XPSP2 Update)

6th August 2004:

Introduction to Unattended disc.

Have you ever wanted a Windows XP CD that would install Windows XP by automatically putting in your name, product key, timezone and regional settings? Followed by silently installing all your favourite applications along with the latest DirectX, .Net Framework and then all the Windows Critical Updates, registry tweaks, updated drivers, and a readily patched UXTheme.dll without any user interaction whatsoever? Then this guide will show you how you can do just that!

Target Audience: Home users - who are taking up a time-consuming process of re-installing Windows, manually installing essential applications, downloading windows updates, and tweaking their OS to perfection on every re-format.

Difficulty: Requires intermediate experience on Microsoft Windows XP and a basic knowledge of how batch commands function.

More detailed info can be had from this link on Changes in Windows XP SP2 Unattended Update.

Homepage and source of above info.

MSFN is really a great source for XP info.

Its been a year since I made my first Unattended XP CD and I'm still working on it! :) This info is really nice.

Maybe I'll try using SP2 after windows is installed. There is many program issues, isn' it? because its "more secure"... I'll need to see which ones needs updating before slipstreaming it into my CD.

Thanx for the info! :)

big_gie said:
There is many program issues, isn' it? because its "more secure"...
Oh yes there are... currently toying with it on a virtual machine, and facing numerous incompatibilities. Not what they really wanted to do, but they did have to adress their gaping security holes at some point.

What kind of "incompatibilities"? When programs are trying to do what? What kind of program are having difficulties?

big_gie said:
What kind of "incompatibilities"? When programs are trying to do what? What kind of program are having difficulties?
Most programs that rely heavily on the TCP/IP stack- which means quite a lot... :D

i have sp2 as an executable file not as muti files on a disc, how do i extract
it so i have the files to make an unattended disc