NTSC/PAL, DVD/VCR, Old TV

Can rip/burn DVDs ok om my Pioneer 106D.

Play back on PC is fine.

Play back of PAL DVDs on Pioneer DV-355 player in lounge is ok.

DV-355 is connected through Panasonic FJ-600 VCR to a 20+ year old PAL TV with only a RF input (i.e. no AV line in etc.).

Problem is NTSC DVDs playback in black & white.

Have tried setting DV-355 to PAL (as opposed to Auto) output, no difference.

Is the VCR the problem? i.e. is there some way to fix it's output to PAL? Why wouldn't it's output be PAL anyway in the situation when I set the DV-355's output to PAL?

I know the answer is buy a new TV with NTSC capability but, where's the fun in that. Buying a new widget is never the technical solution.

Alternatively, when rippinmg NTSC DVDs, how can I convert them to PAL?

Toyo

Your right the simplest solution is to buy a new TV. The average life of a TV here in Oz is 8 to 10 years so youers is well over due.

As for NTSC to PAL, well it depends on how you backup your dvd's in first place. If tyou check out the Tutorial section and use the one that uses DVD2SVCD w/ CCE, then just tick the NTSC to PAL box, its converted automatically for you but it all take a bit of effort on your part. Its simple to use but not as simple as the all-in-one few click wonders. Quality would be great but since your going via a VHS unit and RF, who cares.

Other usefull info and procedures can be found at http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html

Once your read all those, I'm sure you will find the simplest solution is to buy a new TV.