NTSC-film to VCD with TmpgEnc

I use to convert my divx movies to vcd's with TmpgEnc. I usualy have no problems. But I'm getting a problem with a Xvid I just got.
Gspot tells me it's 23.976 fps (NTSC film). I loaded the .avi in video source, the .wav (got from virtualdub, as usual) in audio source, the NTSC film template, and started.
I got my mpg file. When I play it, all is OK, except one thing : when there are fast motions, eg the camera follows a car... the background (I mean the things which stay motionless, houses, street...) is very jerky.
I tried different settings in TmpgEnc (other templates, "do not frame rate conversion" checked...) and I can't fix the problem.
I just noticed the, when I load the .avi file in TmpgEnc, the bottom line shows a 30 fps ! GSpot, VirtualBud show a 23.976 fps !
Is there something I can do to fix this ? I never got this problem before, even with other Ntsc-film divx.
Thanks in advance.

If TMPGEnc thinks its a 30fps movie, try loading the normal NTSC Template and encode using that. Just cut off a small section of the AVI with VurtualDUB and encode it to see if the results are any better.