norton anti virus pro 2004 hlp req

i installed norton anti virus pro 2004 but i cant get the auto live update to stay enabled i have version 10.0.1.13 i use zonealarm pro as well win xp pro

That one was one of the new, advanced features of the early Norton AV 2004 releases! :D Another innovative feature was breaking the activation of perfectly legal purchased editions- although warezed ones were working almost well.
I have heard it has been fixed now, although I was not curious to install this "thing" and verify the claim...

Last edited:
my version was bought but it still disables autoupdate in advanced features etc updating has to be done manually so how do i fix it

from personal experience i would avoid nortan products for antivirus as they are just plain usless with most virii that can be encountered out there :(

sorry but thats mine and many others opinions of nortan for an anti virii software solution.

a lot of us here use AVAST its freeware google for it others like AVG again freeware :)

there are many others out there but these are two that are freeware and are pretty good with free and regular updates :)

If you must buy an anti virii software then from reading around the forum a lot like NOD32 google for this too but its not freeware .. although its a high scorer in the anti virii field :)

thanks for reply i downloaded AVAST pro whats the best way of setting it up.
still i wonder what was wrong with norton disabling autoupdate and how it might be fixed just in case any ideas

for the free version of avast you do not get the pro functionality but the HOME edition registered by filling your email address out at avasts home page should suffice for most needs :)

you can pick and choose what sort of protection levels you wish to set in the options depending on preference :)

as for nortan i would take that up with them as you are a paid up user for it :)

VIPER_1069 said:
from personal experience i would avoid nortan products for antivirus as they are just plain usless with most virii that can be encountered out there :(

sorry but thats mine and many others opinions of nortan for an anti virii software solution.
As Viper said Nortan is not a good choice!!!:p :D After using it for years I recently switch to F-Secure based on reviews and the fact that Notan missed somethings. I also found a lot of members here recommend it and so far so good. :) So I would have to say I'm now on that list of members who recommend it. :cool:

fender62 said:
my version was bought but it still disables autoupdate in advanced features etc updating has to be done manually so how do i fix it
Hi why don't you drop Norton a line or check their support page if they have such a thing. Like you say yours was bought so why not use their support/help line?

thanks rasta and jasmin for the extra nfo :)

@fender62 hope ya don't think i was trying to push you to change anti virii software but been here a long time and seen no end of people that are unhappy with nortan products mainly the anti virii :(

personal experience with it told me it was a poor anti virus and not to rely on it to protect my system :)

Recently i tried to resolve a system that had a virus infection and with nortan av installed and it failed miserably to protect it the system was in a business place, and unfortunatley it infected thousands of files and had to be FORMATTED loosing thousands of business files :(

Recently i tried to resolve a system that had a virus infection and with nortan av installed and it failed miserably to protect it

Well, month ago I had same situation (my friend's relative) but virus definitions for NAV 2003 were updated in August 2003 :confused: And person who installed NAV at his PC has not enabled Automatic LiveUpdate :mad:

All, but ALL my friends use NAV and all their PCs were never infected by any virus (NAV configured by me) so I think NAV is a right choice :D My PC is P4 1.6 with 320 MB RAM, WinXP Pro SP1, I use Photoshop, Corel, some burning apps and don't have problems with memory leakin like before with Windows M(emory)E(ater) :p

Last edited:
I will add to the LTR12101b the Etrust v.7 "Promo Edition" which was issued last August and can still be found on the net. It's pretty basic, not even email integration, but fast and articulate.
My preference is though Avast! 4 Home Edition- not too crippled compared to the pro one (missing the advanced user interface and script blocker), but it is free, it does work great, updates everything silently and very fast, and when accessing dirctories with lots of files or scans within compressed executables, it is very difficult to beat. Might have stability problems with a couple of apllication rules-based firewalls, but other than that I don't know any other shortcoming- plus that their support forum is simply superb.