Norton 2003 help :-)

noodles

Hiya :)

I hope this is in the right place, if not please go easy on me, as this is my 1st visit here :eek:

Anyhoo, I am using Norton 2003, which I purchased last year from PCworld (IE its not a copy lol)

Now a year later, its telling me my subscriptions service is to expire next week. What the hell does this mean? Do I need to fork out more money? (I bet I do :rolleyes: ) and if I'm unable to pay, will this programme still work? Call me dumb but I though you paid for the programme, and that was it! what a jip :(

I know I'm not very clear lol but all I want to know is what does this mean, and if I dont pay more money will I still be covered for viruses and all?

Cheers,
Cait
XXX

Laz

You need to pay not for a new version but for the subscription to Live Update for 12 months so you can d/l the latest virus definitions for another year. ;)

If you don't like the idea of that and I don't blame you if you don't then you might want to look for another Anti Virus software. Avast is FREE and way better than Norton, it has regular software and virus definition updates too and is not the resource hog that NAV is. All you have to do is submit your email addy for a free serial number. In recent tests this has constantly beaten the so called "big guns" in keeping virus out.

Get it here:- www.avast.com/

noodles

Hiya :D

Thanks for your reply!

OMG I cannot believe what a rip off Norton is! So I suppose the Norton CD I have is for the bin now?? I know this sounds niave but I though I could just reinstall it or something :eek:

There is no way I'm going to give them any more of my money! :eek: No way! I will get that Avast you kindly recommended to me :D Thanks very much for that :D

Cheers,
Cait
XXX

Avast! 4 home edition is simply a superb antivirus, and their support forum for ANYONE (not just registered users) is certainly the one to beat.
In fact the free edition is so good, that you will be hard pressed to buy the professional edition, although the free version does not nag you in any way to do so...

noodles

Hiya Scarecrow :D

Thanks for your reply. I certainly will give the Avast ago, I just hope that it doesn't suddenly change its mind about being free after I download it :eek: Thats the sort of thing that happens to me :rolleyes: :( doh!

Cheers,
Cait
XXX

noodles said:
Hiya Scarecrow :D

Thanks for your reply. I certainly will give the Avast ago, I just hope that it doesn't suddenly change its mind about being free after I download it :eek: Thats the sort of thing that happens to me :rolleyes: :( doh!

Cheers,
Cait
XXX

Oh, no, they won't... AVG turned commercial with version 7, but those guys seem to believe in their marketing policy. Actually they are so kind and helpful, that they would get more subscribers when keeping that status. I have earned some time ago a 14-month free subscription to their pro antivirus, due to beta testing it, and recently I was offered another free 14-months renewal. I DECLINED, just because I believe that they do deserve a good (financial) tip for their exhellent work.

VIPER_1069 said:
@scarecrow AVG STILL provide version 6 as freeware http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php :D

Sure maby not the greatest but another good one for free with free updates :)
..as you said, pal: version 6, NOΤ a free version for ΑVG 7.
I could compare Avast! 4 home with AVG 6, but IMHO this is an insult for Avast. The functonality differnces between the free and the pro Avast releases are really insignificant- in fact the only reason to get the pro version is showing the Avast! guys your appreciation about their superb product.
Nuff said.

Well said scarecrow :)

I use Avast with Nod as a backup & i still think Avst is better at detection, certainly with trojans, only way i think they could improve it isa maybe to include heuristics in the main prog, think only the mail scanner has it the now, the mail protectin imo is amonst the best U can get, especially like scarecrow said, the home version is free with free updates, all U have 2 do is register with them & they send U a key & U sorted.I tested a lot ov AV soft with GFIlabs email test, most get the eicar test file & not much else whereas Avast gets 13 out of the 15 tests right :)

BaNzI :D