Normalising Audio

Hi

I have a 5.1 version of Batman Begins and it's quite anoying to have to keep remote at hand to adjust the volume up and down.....quiet with dialog and VERY LOUD with action scenes.
Would normalising help? I have Goldwav to do the job but have used it very rarely and may need a little reminder.

Thanxx
Emma

Seems to me that the way to fix the problem would be to rip the legally purchased dvd to your hard drive, demultiplex the audio and video streams and run the audio through cool edit pro or some other audio editor and normalize the sound that way. As a side note, I would think that you would want to report the defect of your legally purchased dvd to the manufacturer so that others who legally purchased it would not have to deal with the same problem. I would think that paying money to buy a dvd at a retail outlet would be enough for anybody to complain about it. I mean, if you wanted to have problems like this, you would just download a pirated version off the internet. That happens very often with pirated copies. But since we are talking about a legally purchased copy then you shouldn't stand for poor quality.

Thanxxx for your reply. This has happend with a few other films, this one in particular is extreme. I put it down to the fact that I don't have a 5.1 speaker set up, and maybe if I did, the sound would be more balanced, in theory.
But I'll give normalising a try, I don't have Cool Edit Pro, but I know CM uses Goldwav for the same.....I'll take a look at the settings and give it a whirl.

Thanxxx
M

Its a very long and winding road to maximize volume of a ac3 5.1ch audio, but if just want ac3 2ch them load the demuxed audio file into Goldwave (new version 5.11 came out a couple of days back). Goldwave will convert it to WAV stereo when its loaded in. Go to Effect/Volume/Change Volume and slide the slider to the right to a value that will increase the Green & Red spikes up to the 1.0 value. In other words, to double the volume (lets say the spikes only reach 0.5) then slide the slider to 200% and click OK. When done Save As stereo WAV 16 bit. Exit program and then use ffMPEG GUI to convert the audio to 2ch AC3 at 224 bitrate. Done :)

Marvellous! That's a big help.
I've saved your instructions CM, and I'll have a play when I have a spare moment.

M
XXX