no sound in windows ME

i have an MSI MB with onboard Advance ac97 sound, the problem is that for no apparent reason i no longer have sound, i have downloaded the latest drivers and installed them, i have reloaded from the original disk, but still no sound. in device manager it says the correct drivers are installed. The most significant clue is the soundmanager has disapeared from my controll panel and no matter what i do i cannot seem to get it back.
any help apreciated:confused:

Have you checked to see if the onboard sound is switched on in the bios settings, occasionally these things seem to get turned off for no apparent reason :p

problems problems

I get problems when installing other software that OVERRIDES default audio. Just running my ATI DVD from video card blows creative audio out.

stimpleton:
I had a same prob, only with XP. What I had to do was get drivers from the recovery disk to get sound.
I know that your going to tell me that the divers you d/l ed are the same and correct ones but that route did'nt work for me. After 3 days of d/l and installing crap I got out the recovery disk and yes it installed the same drivers that I had d/l ed but for some reason they worked.
So if you can get hands on recovery disk for me it might help.

thanks for the help guys, i eventually reformatted the HD and then realised i cound not find the original disk that came with the motherboard (what an idiot). A lot of work for no gain as i still cant get sound, i will be upgrading shortly so this will no longer be a problem, agian thanks for your help:eek:

LTR12101B , U R A Genius, link was still active and now installed and fully functioning, thanks again all who tried to help:D :D :D