newbie needs video edit advice

nork

I am very new but i do have quite a few programs. I used my tv tuner to dload that episode of Star Trek where capt Picard gets captured by the borg and they get him back and blow up the borg ship. I got it in 4 parts to avoid some of the advertising. But

being new I messed up a bit so there is still some material to edit out. Its in avi format. Plays back nicely in winamp and looks pretty good. I have a P4 2.4 gig rig w win xp pro sp1 and a dvd burner. The total sum of the 5 files i captured is only 3 gigs.

So my question is.
Since i have access to just about any program but i dont need professional results, only standard, What video editing programs could i use? Good, better, and best programs would be helpful for now and in future. And any advice would be helpful since i am a real newbie at this. An example of advice might be to leave it in avi format or change it to another format?

Thanks in advance for all kindly advice given.

nork

thank you!

Will virtualdub allow me to put all 5 parts into one avi?

Last edited:

nork

thanks for the quick response!

I already started a new thread about this, but perhaps you could help me out. I downloaded some files, not noticing they were RMVB (realplayer)format. Is there any way i can change these files to, say, avi, or some other more common format as i dont want to install real player unless i have to?

thanks

nork

Hey, thanks, Duracell, i shoulda done that first i see. It does mention support for rmvb files.
I think, though, that i will go and find my real player alternative program as it is a small one, try that first. If no go then i can try the Film Machine.