New MP3 with Surround sound

A new MP3 form with 5.1 ch Surround sound has been shown.

"MP3 Surround allows the reproduction of high-quality multichannel sound at bit rates comparable to those currently used to encode stereo MP3 material. Most importantly, the new format offers complete backward compatibility to existing MP3 software and devices: MP3 Surround bit streams are played back as high-quality stereo sound on all current MP3 players. When decoded by MP3 Surround decoders, however, the new format produces full 5.1 channel surround sound!"

Read more at http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=63979

serjer said:
thx 4 nfo,a little bit late though than ogg :D
Ogg is surely no competitor, but mpeg variants like AAC and MPC which do support 5+1 and sound ages better than MP3 certainly are... their only problem is persuading chip manufacturers adopting "their" format, as currently none of the above is supported on standalones.

Actually,i think that ogg is great for video,and logically aac is better(but never trued)..And my question would be;Somebody know of some good tutorial for converting dvd to avi or mkv using aac for audio(like nero aac vbr for example)..Tutorial should give perfect results and should be asy to follow(something like cm tutorials)...Also,since when mpc was used for video???I know for latest encoder(stable version) is 1.14beta and sv7 is just for stereo..Scarecrow..fill me in bud :)

mpc does not to my knowledge support multichannels. It is also not usable in video, despite the release of a dshow decoder. I believe that there were/are plans for an SV7.5 that would work with video, at least in MKV.

If by ogg you mean vorbis. Untill channel coupling for more than 2 channels is sorted it really isn't my choice for multichannel audio.

For aac in AVI I would probably stick to CBR, then again I don't think I would mux aac in an AVI. Does seem to work ok, only LC though. Simply encode your aac as usual with say Nero or iTunes, then mux with AVIMux.

For MKV, both LC and HE VBR and CBR work fine. Encode and then mux with mmg.

For encoding aac using the Nero dll's you might want to try BeSweet or perhaps Foobar2k.