new gfx card advice!

goodsoul

im thinking about getting a new card .the card ive got at the minute is a geforce fx 5200,only problem is its a pci card and i have no agp slot on my motherboard.im told the radeon 9800 is a beast of a card but i dont think its avaliable in pci form.anybody any suggestions ?

Not sure you'd get much higher in PCI, since a motherboard without AGP is unlikely to be carrying the speed of processor that you'd need to get the most out of a firebreathing GFX card.

The Radeon 9200 is avaialble in PCI, but that's a step down from the FX5200, as it's only DX8 hardware, not DX9.

To upgrade to an AGP motherboard, you'd probably end up replacing the RAM (most likely SDRAM with DDR), and for good measure, a faster CPU as well.

Even if you COULD get something as powerful as a 9800 in PCI, I think you'd be wasting your money.

Got to agree with upgrading Mobo/processor.I could also recommend the Radeon 9600XT.Best of the 9600 series.Closest thing to the 9800, but good cost savings.DX9 support,and AGP8X.

woody said:
Damn...plenty fast,but no AGP support.Integrated video then?Forget my idea. ;)
Just a shame for upgrading video cards.You are really limited with that mobo.

And No AGP? even with onboard, you'd expect it on a P4 motherboard!

Well, an AGP upgrade then comes down to one that will take your CPU and RAM, all the better, as I was thinking you'd have to bite the bullet for a new CPU and RAM

Take a wander around there
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=264

NB. rotten support, they are complete jerks, but they have a lot of stuff at good prices in one place.

Not sure what FSB you need with that 3.06?

PS. UNLESS, you have a non-standard case that makes swapping motherboards impossible, then you'd have to consider a new case as well - and I wonder, is it some awful big-name specific version of a motherboard, that lacks features you'd expect on the standard retail version?

goodsoul

its a dell dimension ,only had it about 2 months .i put the pci card in myself because it had intel extreme on board graphics which is crap.

If it doesn't have AGP, does it have PCI Express, the one which will replace AGP, though precious few and insanely expensive cards yet?

I can't believe they'd ever go so far BACKWARDS as to not have a practical graphics upgrade route - I remember the last generation of onboard / no AGP slot motherboards, and I'm amazed they'd do that again - mind you, this is Dull we're talking about.

PS. Checked and checked again - Nvidia FX5200, ATI Radeon 9200 (and slower SE) - and insanely expensive Nvidia Quadro FX, nothing else of any merit found on PCI ... were any ATI card bulders crazy enough to do one of their DX9 capable (9500 or better) models in PCI ?

PPS. If the motherboard has a space for AGP, and no connector there, that would be all too typical for a an OEM version motherboard, as is taking out tweaking options in the BIOS, having drives with OEM firmware that can't use the latest updates - sorry to rant, but the bigger an OEM is, the more likely they are to corrupt the upgradability of a PC.

goodsoul

just checked it has 3 standard pci slots but there is a space for an agp slot.ive only had the system for 3 months and it cost me almost £800 quid and like you said with it being a p4 3.06 you would expect an agp port as standard.my geforce card is doing the business at the moment but with the latest games its struggling at medium settings ie.farcry and battlefield vietnam.i dont mind forking out £150 on a radeon 9800 card if its gonna last me a couple of years but at the minute im f**ked.anyway im gonna get on to dell and see if they can do anything ,you reckon ive got a good case?

Okay,so there is an AGP slot? :confused: I doubt Dell will do much about a video card.Normally you have an option to choose a video card when ordering.

The 9800 Pro will keep you going for a long while.It is the best ATM IMHO.You can never have the best card,better ones seem to come out monthly,or weekly at times.

goodsoul

right ,i bought a new dell pc about 2-3 months back cost me about £780 quid.now i knew it didnt have a gfx card in it (its got built in intel extreme graphics)but that wasnt a problem because i had a geforce fx 5200 pci card knocking about which i had in my old pc, so i just installed that .now ive been playing a few new pc titles over the past few weeks and ive noticed my geforce card isnt up to scratch so ive been thinking about getting a radeon 9800.thats when it struck me i have no agp port ,so if im having trouble with games at the minute whats it gonna be like 12 months down the line if i cant better the card ive got now?the main reason i bought the pc was to play games and when youve splashed out a lot of money on a pc and its not capable doing the things you want it to your gonna feel hard done by!all i want is dell to sort me out with a replacement pc with an AGP port!!!so i can go and buy a decent gfx card myself.

Yeah AGP is the only 'real' way to upgrade.You might contact Dell,and see about a mobo upgrade,although it will cost you.Good luck.

goodsoul

i rang the customer support and all they said was "in the system spec it doesnt say it has an agp port" to that i replied "it doesnt say it hasnt either"
i bet 99.9 per cent of new systems on the market have at least one agp in them.im gonna ring the customer care line tommorow i dont know were i stand legally but i dont want to pay for an upgrade.

thanks for all your help anyway ;)

Yeah..sorry to hear about your problem.Buyer beware comes to mind.

Integrated video in mobo's is to be avoided if you're serious about gaming and upgrading.Best of luck resolving your issue.

goodsoul

after endless calls and being passed about to different departments (all of them in india and none of them spoke fluent english),i couldnt get any joy .and is this wonderful world of modern technology i was told to take my case (and i have)to the dell complaints department wait for it ...................by letter !!i kid you not.im not expecting a reply.

is there anything i could buy that could slot in to the pci slot to convert it to an agp,some sort of adapter maybe?
also is it a bit late in the day to have anything done to my motherboard?