Networking Problem Windows 2000nt

Blackcaese

I have a 5 computer network 2 of them are running Win98 OS the other 3 are Win2000NT. I use a Lynksis router for PC's 1,2,3 and PC's 4,5 are uplinked from the router to a Hub.
PC 1 = 2000NT
PC 2 = 98
PC 3 = 98
PC 4 = 2000NT
PC 5 = 2000NT
PC 1 communicates well with PC 2 and PC 3 but when PC 1 enters PC 4 or PC 5 Winexplorer freezes up. Basically all the 2000NT machines have problems sharing files, always freezes when one enters another.
However if any of the 2000NT need to access and share file with any 98 machines it is fine.

I noticed on PC 1 when I right clicked on Network Neighborhood->Properties double clicked on Local Area Network->Properties and there was a General Tab and a sharing tab

I on PC 4 and PC 5 when I did the same thing I noticed just a General Tab?

I am thinking this could be the problem why my 2000NT machines have problems sharing. If this is the case how do I get a sharing Tab on PC 4 and PC 5?

NOTE: All PC's can see each other in Winexplorer and all PC's get a reply when I Ping each one. Just the file sharing problem.

Just a point has these PC 4+5 do they have Admin rights?
Just guessin' as I don't use 2000 so this could well be the problem why you may not have the sharing option..

Blackcaese

I don't know of PC 4 & 5 have admin rights. PC 1,4,5 all have the same OS 2000NT. I just need to no how to get the Sharing Tab on PC 4 & 5, other that all 2000NT computers will be configured the same :confused:

err wats 2000nt?AFAIK,there's win2k pro,server,advanced server...does the pc have any conflicting irqs ?

You need adiministrator privileges to share files+ folders from Win2000 machines, but I guess that this is not your problem, but rather bogus LAN settings. Are you sure ALL the computers are members of the SAME domain (real or virtual)?
Needn't be necessarily a domain, it can also be a workgroup- but ALL the computers must be able to login to that workgroup.

What do you get if you type on your console (AKA command prompt window) "ping 192.168.0.13" or whatever your other 2000 machine local IP is? If all the packets you send are received by the other 200 machine, then it's either a permissions or a firewall problem- some firewalls set by default the same settings for all existing LAN adapters, which is simply not right.

Blackcaese

I can see all computers in my Network Places in explorer with the names I gave them.

In Dos, I can ping all the other computers ip addresses and they all reply fine. All firewalls are disabled when I do this process.

In explorer the 2000 machines can enter each other but they freeze within 10 seconds and I am not able to share files.

Do you know how to get the sharing tab in as mentioned earlier? (above)

This is the only configuration that is different from PC 1 and PC 4 & 5.

Maybe this or this and this can help...
Or maybe this

Too many this? :)

http://www.uark.edu/compserv/internet/filetransfer/fileshare/windows/share2k.html said:
If the Sharing tab is not visible, try using the Services snap-in to start your Server service.
There is some issues with this in XP, but never heard of it in 2000...