networking(print share) prob

hello everyone :cool:
After I got XP installed I wanted to join it to my network, everything went fine except I can't get my printer installed on other machine running 98se. when I try to install new printer/network/swampy/hp it askes for the driver. When I put the printers cd in, it says that the media does not contain the info needed to install printer. what gives?

printer/ hp pcs2210 all-in-one

yes I have made the printer shared as swampy/hp

for clearifacation: server(xp machine)=comp1, and other pc(98se)=comp2 and laptop(98se)=comp3

oh yea there all connected though a 4 port router making up the network though eithernet cables

Try this: in the win98 pc install the printer as a local printer, if posible connect the printer to this pc, then after you have installed succesfully the printer put it back to your XP pc and then in the win98 pc go to the printer properties and set the port of the printer to the net address of the printer, it should be something like this:\\xppc\hpprinter

hmmmmmmmmm on my netowrk i share the printer from another machine ....

on the machine with the printer installed choose to share the printer ..

on the other machine choose to add a printer it should give you the option of adding this shared printer as add NETWORK printer it should copy the drivers from the other machine via the lan :)

VIPER_1069 said:
hmmmmmmmmm on my netowrk i share the printer from another machine ....

on the machine with the printer installed choose to share the printer ..

on the other machine choose to add a printer it should give you the option of adding this shared printer as add NETWORK printer it should copy the drivers from the other machine via the lan :)
Yes thats the common procedure, but several times I had problems installing the printer that way, can´t tell why and I don´t think that our old friends from M$ have a clear answer.:rolleyes:

Anyway when I had problems like the one crater is having I had come to solve the problem with the procedure I described above.

thanks guys Your both right

I did have to change the path (the only fix i could find) I just thought it should be easeier than that. not very user friendly :rolleyes:

And yes if I could get the drivers for 98 installed onto xp machine then the 98 machine would just copy then automatically (it worked like that when I hooked up laptop to net with the printer installed on 98 machine, so it seems like 98 to 98 no prob, but any other config. nothing but prob.

but I guess with the outgoing 98 systems the people @ M$ don't care anymore about support for it.

and as I stated before there is a promt. for the installation of mulitiple drivers but IT dosen't work(for me anyway) Printers/property/sharing/addiitional drivers

just p**** a guy off after spending alot of time trying to install using a wizard that won't work.

and the real fact is that the printer pcs2200 series drivers are in a bundel with the freekin software some 176mb worth that if you had dial-up would take forever to d/l and then, if there like the cd, won't work for ya either. :mad:

well thanks again, keep on plugin
hope this has helped someone else out to.
crater

Last edited: