My old pc

Nizmo

Hi i just bought a 40g hard drive for my old comptuer it works and all. The problem is that when i try to install the graphics driver it says windows did not find any nvidia chipsets. It is a pretty old comptuer the graphics card is a nvidia tnt2 64mb. Its running on windows 98. When i go into system information it says its using a standard pci graphics adapter (VGA) i dont know what that is but could you help me fix this old pc?

Nizmo

yeh i went on the nvidia website and downlaoded the latest drivers and got direct x latest off microsoft. When i try to install the driver it says i dont have the chipset required. the original cd was for windows xp but I been told i cant use the xp cd on 2 comptuers so i was forced to use the old 98 cd.

Nizmo

Ok i fixed the problem, just had to install an older version of the driver. Now the problem is that when i change the colour settings it doesnt stay. I choose 16 or 32bit colour then make the screen 800 by 600 then it restarts to apply changes. Once its restarted everything is back to normal on 16 colours and 640xcant remember. lol. how can i fix this and make it so the colour is normal and pictures actually look good?

Usually this means the driver is incorrect for the chipset. Can you read the number from the GPU chip on your VGA card?

When i used a TNT card i always used driver version 3.82 as newer ones gave me probs, U can try lookin thru the driver archive at the Nvidia driver download site for them :)

Here is a link to the download page for the 3.82 drivers for Win 9x

3.82 Driver

BaNzI :D

Is it PCI or AGP? - if it's AGP, you need to install the chipset driver for AGP - in fact, you may need to install an appropriate chipset driver, or the INTEL INF update if applicable, to unsure that Windows recognizes and supports a chipset not covered when it went gold.

AHA, for the latest ( 77.72 ) drivers, it actually states (hidden away rather) that a number of older cards are not supported
http://www.nvidia.com/object/77.72_9x_supported.html
Unsupported in 77.72
TNT2
TNT2 Pro
TNT2 Ultra
TNT2 Model 64 (M64)
TNT2 Model 64 (M64) Pro
Vanta
Vanta LT
GeForce 256
GeForce DDR
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 Ti
GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce2 MX Integrated graphics
Quadro
Quadro2 Pro
Quadro2 EX
While the "main" Geforce 2MX models appear to be on the supported list, I suspect that may be a mistake.

Pointing to the archive section, which also lists the same drivers, the next release back is 71.84, which is listed as supporting the older cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

Also listed as supporting DirectX 9.0c, and using a driver with a lower version of DirectX, certainly with a lower major version, often gives rise to problems - I've completely lost hardware acceleration, until that mismatch was corrected

Nizmo

I installed the older version of the graphics driver and its working fine now. Now that i got 2 computers i want to try to network them so internet works on both. I have got optus cable and live in Australia, Do you know what i will need to network optus cable with sucess?

Nizmo

ok so..What i need to buy is 2 of them network cards that go into the comptuer? Are they the ones with the ethernet cable holes in them? The older 98 system has got some netcomm thing in it is that what i need? Will i have a huge cable running through my house?

does either of the motherboards in either machine have an ethernet port in them already !?

if one does then you will only need one ethernet (PCI nic card) if both have them then you just need the crossover cable ... CABLE is the cheapest option by far sure looks messy but can be hidden if you can run it under the carpets or along the edge of the room... anything else like wireless or other may cost you more money :(

there is also the DEVOLO home network kit that uses your power outlet sockets of your home see image

but as before NOT cheap :(

Attachments

Nizmo

Wow...i dont get it lol. So i plug a cable into my comptuer then conect it to a power port then every power port in my house has the internet?

Nizmo

So if one comptuer in my room if next to a power port and the other one is next to a power port there will be no mess?

OUCH!
https://www.itfast.com.au/shopnow.asp?ID=EPL-14U
I found what appears to be a similar device - expensive, and that's only one.

The best way to split your interneat connection, is with a suitable router..
An ADSL router has the ADSL modem built in, and is used instead of the supplied modem - settings need to be noted and applied to it.
A cable router is used with a cable modem with an ethernet port, and may also be used with an ADSL modem if that has an ethernet port - most supplied ones are cheap USB only.
A wired router generally has 4 ethernet ports, while a "wireless" router normally has at least one wired port available, in addition to wireless.

The router solution is infinitely preferable to relying on one PC acting as the server, but you can set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on a computer using an ethernet port/card (a second one, if the internet connection is also by ethernet instead of USB), WiFi point to point (a wireless card or USB pod on each PC), or even Bluetooth point to point, though the low security of bluetooth makes this a risky option.

I'm assuming that you also need a second one of those on the other machine, and are still relying on ICS, as these are USB devices that are strictly computer to computer.

http://www.alphaonline.com.au/catalogue/details.jsp?productID=327273&type=group
Netcomm homeplug NP210 twin pack - now what are these?
http://www.netcomm.com.au/Networking/eop.php AHA! these are the Ethernet over power devices, so it should be possible, if desired, to connect one to the output of a wired router, for a system that is wired without wires, or, of course, to use them as part of an Windows ICS configuration.

This is the comparable device to the ones mentioned earlier, and it appears that the standard pack is a pair.

Personally, I would not be happy to run broadband without a hardware router/firewall (though the firewall is actually a side-effect of NAT routing), as the router makes an excellent junk filter that will stop most types of external attacks before they hit the fragile Windows TCP/IP stack