music vids

Why is it that when i downloaded a .avi music file it has to download off the net when i want to play it?, i download .mpegs and they just play on my system but the .avi's all have to download from the net.
the files i download are all about 20 - 30 meg so i thought that would be the whole thing, so why does it not download it all and has to go to the net to play?
they are searching for something called a codex, i have no idea what this is or what it does.
can someone shed some light on this for me please?.

iv got a few of the music vidioes & they can be between 40/250 mbs.i did notice dl mp3s the other day.the odd one would automatically play with real player.then they would just dissapear
yet iv got all my hidden folders on show.there wasnt any in the temp folders either.a few months back i was grabbing mp3s from sites.a few of these would disapear within 24 hours.some sort of protection. what i would do then was rename them & burn them straight to disk.
parrot man

Maybe because the .AVI specification it's a very old multimedia container with no streaming in mind or something. Codec means compressor/decompressor and i'ts the software the system needs to display the video, like DivX, Cinepak or MPEG4 for example.

thanx Fox Mulder, lil to much effort just for a vid, i think i will just download .mpegs from now on :), but thanx for finding all that out for me. :D

If you still want to know something about video then here is another place to check out:
h**p://w*w.vcdhelp.com/

Good luck