Multiple Operating System Boot Selector-please advise

Well I finally got around to building my test box with a bunch of different operating systems on it. I have been using Acronis OS Selector and have not been happy.

My first complaint is that basically after I install each new OS, I have to boot to the Acronis OS Selector recovery disc and repair it to get it going again.

Second is that for each version of Windows 2000 I install it puts two choices in the boot list. For example I have the following in the list:

Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 2000
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000
Windows 2003 Server Basic
Windows 2000

If I choose any of the "Windows 2000" entries I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor or an error message telling me to reboot.

Third problem is that after installing Windows 2003 Server last night and recovering Acronis, it sees the new partition and asks me what OS it is. There are only like 6 to choose from and none of them are Windows 2003. So I chose Windows 2000. It reboots and calls it Windows 2003 Server. I'm OK with that, but when I select it from the list, Windows XP starts. Then I notice Windows XP is gone from the list.

That was the last straw. I have it installed under Windows 98 which was the first OS I installed. What I need to know is how to get rid of Acronis and switch to a different product. I also need to know what product I should switch to. It has taken me a couple weeks to get this box where it is at and I don't want to have to reinstall any of the OS's.

I currently have the following OS's installed with all Windows updates in place except for Windows 2003 Server MVL:

Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows 2000 Server
Windows XP Pro Corp
Windows 2003 Server

I want to install Red Hat 9 and Winlinux and then I'm done.

Please advise.

TIA

Laz

Should tell you on the homepage m8, AFAIK it does. It's only a little 300kb prog and does not mess much with the registry so why not try it out if you can't find the exact detail regarding Red Hat?

Howdy,
restart won't boot Linux by itself, you have to modify the bootscript yourself- follow the instructions here...
Still the "almost" free Osloader or the free/opensource gag are much cleaner choices, as they don't need any partition to install- they just sign in the MBR.

Howdy mresende,
xosl is a good loader, but it needs ~30M on a fat(32) partition to install... I prefer loaders which use just the mbr and nothing else.