MSN Admits winXP directx problems with AMD

Microsoft Admits Win XP DirectX Problems with AMD

Microsoft buggered up the AMD optimization code for DirectX 8.1 that which is built into Windows XP. The problem can be resolved, but you have to call Microsoft for the fix and of course pay for the call too and if you can wait Microsoft says to wait until Service Pack 1 is released. :(
According to the posting, "the DrawIndexedPrimitive function stops working without displaying an error or debug message". Microsoft fesses up and says the error occurs because of "a code error in the AMD-specific optimized code. This code error may lead to heap corruption," it says.

So Microsoft, not AMD, messed up, in case you were wondering.

*** but I would suggest not to use SP1 (as it causes many other problems for many), just go to update site & see if you can do it there (though am not having issues with my DirectX 8.1 on winXP on this AMD system).

dx

No problems here either!

I'm wondering what proggies use this DirectX 8.1 optimization code?! If the DrawIndexedPrimitive function stops working does it mysteriously crash the app (since no error is given)?

Only problem I have is InCD don't work.

Nero says somethin' 'bout problems with VIA chipsets, so it sounds like it's their fault, not M$!

Wish they'd do something about it, I don't like Direct CD.

**UPDATE**
at the amd board a few people got a little pissed off with M$N, so there have been a few sites posting the hot fix =). Here is one:

h**p://www.warp2search.net/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=3

dx

shadoe_phantom said:
**UPDATE**
at the amd board a few people got a little pissed off with M$N, so there have been a few sites posting the hot fix =). Here is one:

h**p://www.warp2search.net/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=3
Damn, you beat me posting this bud! :p

BTW, have you (or anybody) tried this fix? Not sure if I want to apply it as I have yet to have any problems with DirectX 8.1 and AMD processor.

lol dxkim. No I haven't bothered with it yet as I haven't noticed any issues with mine. But if & when I do, then I will. I suggest that best thing to do for everyone also.
No need to fix if it's not broken right. Hopefully won't need it but just incase, not a bad thing to have handy.

dx

Well, after reading a few good responces about this file...I installed it. And after 3 days of runnng all kinds of apps and games, I see no problems with the patch.

In fact, my UT2003 beta (which is tough on any system) is actually getting 10-12 more frames per second after the install. Others on other forums are posting similar results. It seems that this fix is a winner! :)

However, you should as always create a restore point with System Restore just in case it doesn't work for you.