Mpeg2 to AVI

Hi :)

I'm using Vidomi V.469 to convert MPEG 2 to DivX (6.2 codec) but I'm having a problem with sync issues.

Could someone please advise where I might be going wrong.
Just to add, I've checked the tutorial here and followed CM's setup instructions.

Thanx for listening

Emma
XXX

Hi CM, how are you?

Thanx for your suggestion!
Gave it a whirl and still had the same problem!
The audio is in sync intially, but over 1/2 hour the audio is trailing by about 2 seconds.
It may help you to understand the process of what I'm doing and maybe where I'm going wrong.

My mpeg2's are derived from edited .ts files using HDTVtoMPEG2. The comercials have been edited out and the converted mpeg2 plays perfectly in sync!
The settings I use for AutoGK are to have the xVid codec sellected and mp3 audio CBR 128kbps.

However, I've had success by directly converting the unedited ts file straight to xvid. But I would prefer to edit out the rubbish.

Thanx for your valued time..!

Emma
XXX

Why not edit with VirtualDubMod(or VirtualDub) after conversion.
Cut out what you dont want and save as direct stream avi.
If you still get sync issues you can save the avi in segments then correct the sync in each segment.
This is an ok aproach to videos that gradually get more out of sync.
Although somewhat time consuming :)

I dont do much x to avi conversions but when i do i usually prefer converting audio and video separately then mux back together with VDM.
If you can leave the source audio untouched thats even better.

The comercials have been edited out and the converted mpeg2 plays perfectly in sync!
I'd suggest this is where your problem lies. Just because it plays okay on the PC doesnt meen its been assembled correctly. If I can remember, you use ProjectX to do this.

I captured a ts stream last week myself, pulled out the mpeg stream with HDTV2MPEG2 then cut out the ads etc using latest MPEG-VCR (www.womble.com). I then converted that to DVD rather than AVI, result was absolute perfect sync, as per the mpeg, as per the ts stream.

Bionic's suggestion of using VirtualDUBMod to edit the avi sounds good to me also :)

Well I thought I'd cracked it. I persevered with HDTVtoMpeg2 for the editing, but this time outputting in the native transport stream format. This created clips and all in perfect sync when converted to avi, great i thought!
However, when these were joined in Vdubmod, only the first clip was in sync.

AVI is the way for me as my new DVD player is compatible to play them.
They also take up less room and the idea was to keep the whole process fairly
quick and straight forward. DVD format would mean authoring and creating menu's etc.

The case continues :)

Thanx guys
MXXX

Have you tried the interleave options in VDM.
Right click on the audio stream in the streams window and choose interleaving. You can skew with possitive or negative values and/or interleave at different intervals.