Mpeg2 edit

Hi :)

I'd like to edit out adverts etc from my mpeg2 TV recordings, could someone please recommend a prog for doing this.

Thanx
Emma
XXX

I have used quite a few, but now keep it simple and use TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0 - I just record to DVD-RW on my settop dvd recorder, then edit out commercials with DVD Author, add menus, remake and burn.

Thank you for the options :).

Unfortunately, I don't have version 2 of DVD Author at the moment.
But VDubMod I do have and will give that a whirl and report back.

Thanx again
:)

Back again......

No luck with VDubmod 1.5.10.2, an error message reports "Cannot detect file type".

I've since installed TSunami Mpeg DVD Author Pro v2.1.577, which I believe is the same as DVD Author 2.....
This time the mpeg-2 file would load but reports that the video bitrate is 15000kbps and exceeds the max of 9800.
As it allowed me to continue, I thought I would toy with the editing side of things and that seemed to work rather well, although verrrrrry slowly.
It looks as though I may have to reencode my mpegs to an acceptable bitrate before continuing with the editing and authoring.
Would it be quicker converting the mpeg to avi and then edit using vdubmod? which I do quite a bit of and is a lot quicker than DVD Author Pro

Thannx
MXXX

Windows XP Home SP1
AMD Athlon XP 1.67 GHz
512MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9600 AGPX4
Background Apps, Antivirus etc closed down to aid speed

Just tried to encode the mpeg-2 file using DVD2SVCD 1.2.3 b1 by means of an old trick Chicken Man once told me about, and that is to change the mpeg file extension to a vob and with a VIDEO_TS.IFO file from a DVD this loaded successfully but reported "Cannot find audio or video data. Check your Pids" ??

So, rather stuck for what to do next.

What exactly are your "my mpeg2 TV recordings", are they real mpeg2 files or are the *.TS or *.TP stream files? If they are the latter type streams, then you need to extract the mpeg2 file out of them first, I use HDTVtoMPEG2 for that.

Also dont get put off by TMPGenc DVD Authors bitrate is to high error. When CCE has the flag "DVD Compliant" turned on it stes the streams header bitrate to 9800 regardless of what the actual bitrate was useed in the fle. TMPGEnc is just about the only authoring program that simply reads the header bitrate rather than determine it itself. Load the same file into any other authoring program (Maestro, Senarist, DVDLab, DVDAuthor, etc) and it will NOT give you that error.

Hello CM,

When the files have been transfered across from my Humax 9200t PVR they have no file extension. To play\test them, I then rename to .mpg.

I've suceeded to edit these files with a prog called ProjectX, which also demuxes the audio, which is handy for batch encoding to ac3 with Sonic Soft Encode.
Once done, DVD Author Pro accepts them with no problem.

However, for future reference, i'd like to know how i can encode mpg2 files with CCE\
How can I get DVD2SVCD to accept these files?
The error message i get - "Cannot find audio or video data. Check your Pids"
What am I doing wrong?

Big ThanX
:)

Just copy ANY VTS_01.0.ifo file to the folder where your mpeg file is. In DVD2SVCD, set it to DVD as input, then browse to theat ifo file. It will error out saying cant find any files, click okay, then in the new window ADD the mpg file (change view to All *.*), then okay. Once back to main dvd2svcd screen totally ignor the audio type and movie length as that info came form the ifo file and is NOT used in the encode. Setup D2S as per usual and GO.

Latest D2S (ver 1.2.3 b1 with newish dgencode.dll ) also will encode mpeg1's this way also.

That workks fine for genuine MPEG files, but the error message you got about "Check your PIDS" suggests it a transport stream. ProjectX handles thes files. May I suggest to try naming the captured file with a *.TS extension and run it through latest ver of HDTV2MPEG2 from _http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/HDTVtoMPEG2/index.html as it will extract the mpeg2 vidio & audio as a mpg file.

Last edited:
Magic!

HDTV2DVD worked a treat! It also edits very well too.
A must prog to have, very useful.

A BIG Thanx CM XXX

I've just one other question, if thats OK...

When encoding mpeg's of different lengths ie; 3 @ 20 mins and 2 @ 60 mins to fit on one DVD, what is the formula for working out the cd\bitrate size for each?

M
XXX

Glad to hear it all worked :)

I simply add up the total time of all the episodes/movies. 3x20min + 2x60min = 180min. and then find what proportion of the total size of 4460 thats needed.

So for the 20min eps use CD size of 20/180 * 4460 =500 (rounded up a bit) and the 60min eps will be 60/180 * 4460 =1490