Mozilla 1.2.1+Java

Having trouble getting java to work :mad:

Downloaded j2re 1.3.1_09 (for RedHat 9)

did chmod a+x and ran the rpm

but java is not installed in Mozilla

Anyone got a step by step (simple) guide to install this.I believe I followed Sun Java's instuctions,but................. :confused:

Latest Java release is 1.4.2_01.
Works fine with Mozilla/Firebird/Konqueror..., (unlike your version), and makes the blackdown java releases obsolete.
Give it a try. The official Sun installer "misses" putting the java directory to path (the default is /usr/java, while normally just /usr/bin is in the system path), but you can put the dir in the path manually, else you will encounter something like putting in the console " java -?" and getting the answer that java not found as an executable...

Last edited:
VILLA21 said:
Did u make a symlink to your Mozilla"s plugin folder?
Yes, that's right... you need to create a symlink at the mozilla /plugins folder to make java work. same applies for any other netscape-ish browser.

Thanks both,did the symlink thing,so thats working OK........and put the latest Java in.

Next question......If I test Mozilla at a site on the net for java it tells me that Javascript is enabled but not Java appplets ?? any clues.

I also installed OPERA V7.11 same story no applet function.

You need to add the path to java in your enviroment path (bash) file. Why the Sun installer does not take are of that> don't know...

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:/$PATH

Add the above lines as they are to your .bashrc file.
Of course if your java installation directory is different from the above, change the first line accordingly.

cos it's hard enough sorting out what I've got let alone installanything else............yet

need more practice first.................rebuilt this set-up 3 times in twodays already :p

made some enquires and it maybe that the page I'm viewing is written with HTML tags that Mozilla don't recognise ?

possible ? :confused: