Motherboard/Processor enquiry

Hi guys,

im just wondering if you could help me with my question...

if i wanted to upgrade a PC's Processor, for example, P3 450mhz, to say 2.4ghz, what else needs upgrading in order for this too work? as far as i know im thinking the motherboard and processor, and more ram, but im not too sure, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michael

you need not only "more RAM", you need new RAM, because new boards don't supporting your old SDRAM;
a new powerfull supply is needed too in most cases;
also a new processer means you need a new heat sink (+ fan) too;

Greetings from
Duracell

Seb

U'll need a new mobo, procesor and ram module and maybe a PSU if the 1 u have currently < 300W

For a smaller upgrade, you might be able to use a slocket (I'm assuming this is a SLOT board). and possibly hit double the performance ot more (though the slow ram would be a drain).

It always depends what you want to do with it - the other thing, a P-II/P-III slot motherboard COULD be AT style (has LARGE keyboard socket, no I/O plate, and power connector is two 6 pin halves in line) - if it's that style, you'll need a new case/PSU, though that might be advisable anyway ... you should really be thinking 400w minimum these days, or a good quality 350w that probably beats a cheap 400.

I think we all ought to remind BestNzWrestler that there's a law of diminishing returns. Finding a four-year-old slocket and a higher spec'ed cpu (and some pc133 rams) is possible -- for instance, if you're in North America, from compgeeks.com or computersurplus. However, a really minimal system -- $50. for discounted socket A mobo, $45. for 256 mbs of pc2100 memory & $70 for an XP 1800 cpu -- will cost about as much as sourcing antique Intel coppermines. If the problem of getting cases and new power supplies has to be considered, then it should be. But we can steer folks to a better system without pressuring them to pay $500 on new gear (though it becomes tempting, and if you look at Tredragon's thread, you'll see what happens).

Mr Snatcher

Basically your looking at getting a new pc. You can use the old hard drive and cdrom, the case too if your lucky, thats depending o the style of of the case...atx for example.