Motherboard keep rebooting help!

I got a Soltek SL-86SPE-L Socket 478 800FSB with a P4 2.6 gig 800mhz processor on board. Somehow when I switch my PC on, the boot screen go back to the start and then beep and then it goes back to the boot screen then beep again for some unknow reasons. And it continue for about four to six times before window XP Logo comes up. Is there something I got to disable in the bios ? I check the motherboard menu and the bios and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I went to the manufactory web site but I have to fill out the serial number which I have to dismantle everything just to get the number and it's really a pain to put it back together again. Can somebody with PC technical knowledge tell me what I need to do to fix that annoying problems ?

What rating is the PSU - it might be losing "power good" under the startup load.

I have seen mention that too many fans (particularly high speed ones that draw more current) can tip a marginal system into power problems.

Is the graphics card a notoriously "thirsty" one as well, and do you have many drives?

Have you added or upgraded anything lately?

LTR1210B! I'm running the system with a AC230V 50Hz 4A 400w Omni Power Supply to run the Lite On 163D DVD Rom, Pioneer A05 DVDR, Lite On 48x CDRW, Leatek 128mb Ti4200 grrahpic Card two Carsair 256mb DDR400, two 120gig Seagate SATA HDD and also a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card. I think I should have more than enough power with it.

If there was a smiley for an intake of breath, I'd use it!

3 optical drives
2 hard disks
A "thirsty" graphics card
2 fast DDR Rams

All on what's basically a no-name 400w PSU.

If you temporarily un-cable some of the drives, and find it's more stable, thean that'll be your answer.

Now I'll see if I can hunt down a good article ... Generic PSU's often have severe "per rail" current limits, or a combined 3.3/5v capability on a 400w that's no better than on many 300w models - it just depends which rail are most highly loaded.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q3/psus/index.x?pg=1
(Not the one I was looking for)
http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html
Still not the one

Last edited:
Had the same symptoms on an Abit mobo I was handled for cure... in that case was a broken IDE controller, and the only solution available was either using a PCI IDE controller or trashing the mobo (repairing it costs more than bying a new and better one).

Check your mobos manual for beep configs.
Try removing all your periferals and putting them back in one at a time.
This should give a general idea on watt usage.

This is the one I was trying to find
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/default.asp

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/page2.asp
Page 2 - the P4 CPU, 2600 (Northwood) is 9.3 amps load on the 12v line.

Which also serves motor power to the drives, and the fans.

And those Seagate SATA drives are 2.2A (max) EACH on the 12v.
The optical drives should not be using 12v power unless active, but that still leaves fans and any other devices.

As a general rule, the big names such as Enermax easily punch at their weight or above, while lesser names often have trouble usefully delivering their full rating - if you're after serious power, and balk at the thought of paying a high price for what looks like a low wattage, then in cheaper supplies, the 550w model is usually the only one worth considering.

Thanks for your help LTR12101B. I've just got another problems after that. This one is an annoying alarm sound off after I went to the bios setting . I have no idea what that was. As a computer's newbie I have no idea whatsoever. Problems keep coming after one another. The only thing I have done is checking the bios and suddently the alarms goes off. And that was it. However it's not the first time it happenede to me.
It happened to me lthe last time when I put all the hardwares together onto the mainboard and installing all the drivers. So when I turn it off until the next day in the morning the alarm haven't comes back since then.

Two tone, like a siren?

Typical motherboard alarm for:
1. Fan failiure (or fan monitoring selected for a fan with no tachometer - 3rd wire - function)
2. Temperature alert
3. Voltage alert

The BIOS should have a hardware health screen - where you can see voltages, fan speeds an temperatures.
Or there is software (you usually get one with the board) or this - http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ - it is a little bloated for some, but I've used it for ages

There are a couple of others - Speedfan, Fanspeed - some can cantrol fan speeds according to temperature, if PWM control is actually implemented.

I got the mother board health monitor that comes with the board. The fan spped, voltage and temperture looks alright to me as I didn't overclock the CPU. It goes off only everytime I go to Bios setting and it screaming at me for no reasons. Its really realy pissed off and annoying. Then I shut the whole thing down and switch that on after two hours or more it disapear. But if the alarm goes off I restart the PC straight away it comes off over and over again. Its just give me a headache. Anyway I gave up all hopes and send the board back to where I board under the warrranty conditions. The manual or the manufactory web site don't explain any trouble shootings at all.