More Questions On Ram...

Hey, Ive Been Advised To Only Put Another 256 megs of Ram on top of my 128? Can Anyone see a reason for that? or should i got all out and chuck in 512 more?

over-ram

my advise is to read your mb manual,

some pc will lock upon boot if there is too much ram installed. Mine is a ASUS CUSL2-C and it recommends not to install over 512mb, so to each there own I guess.

in most cases you will be able to find out how much ram your mb will support in the manual.

other that that GOOD LUCK

Quotes My Manual

"For The Mainboard you must use 168-pin 3.3v unbuffered PC100 or PC133 SDRAM memory modules. You can install any size memory module from 32 MB to 512 MB, so the maximum memory size is 2 x 512 MB = 1 GB."

So if i have any brains at all, thats telling me i can have up 1 gig of ram? So the 512 + 128 wont do any harm?

BestNzWrestler said:
*gets confused* :|
If you want to go and make you total amount of ram 512 I found to B a better choice then going 512+128 (640).
Had 640 on my old set up but found it ran slower so I went 512 on 98se fine on a Gigabye MOBO Pen 3/450Mhz
You should not have no problems but remember the some ram out there are crap..

Win9x reveals a possible crasher bug if you exceed 512MB without applying a limit to VCACHE size.

Some older chipsets will not cache more than 512Mb (some no more than 64 Mb).

If you have two different specifications of RAM (CL mode or other timings), they will all have to run at the slowest.

If your motherbord is supporting a CPU at 133 FSB, then PC133 memory will be required - if it is 100 FSB, then eithe PC100 or PC133 should work - and PC133 is often cheaper.

I have 3 slots in mine, 128's in each for 384 total - and my board has trouble with most 256's.

If the ram slots are close (they will be) and a little obstructed, there MAY be a thermal advantage in running with a SINGLE 512, instead of a 128 and a 256.

Exactly what RASTA said - and most likely better than a 256 + 128 for 384 (which would be cheaper, of course)

What board is it, and what CPU?
Despite the manual's reassurance, some memory configuration just do not work!

Mine has 3 banks - each bank supports (they say) - 16, 32, 64, 128, 256

They do NOT mention the 128Mb per LOGICAL bank limitation, which means that ONLY 256 Mb modules that present as TWO 128 Mb banks will work - and the single 256Mb bank configuration is the most common.

You would do well to use the CRUCIAL memory selector, as this should offer ONLY memory which is compatible - though it's unlikely you're as unlucky as I am in choice of board!

VIA Samuel 2
666mhz
120 MB of Ram

Yes I Know, I hate my computer being slow too :( but i was told it was 1ghz when we bought it, then it turned out it wasnt :|

So Your All Saying I Should Go For The Single 512? or 128 + 256?

yes a single stick would be better for heat reasons but if you r properly cooled then go for the combo + get the same ram (133/100) u have installed now if going for the combo route.(same brand would'nt hurt either, if poss.)

And if it's speed your looking for u may want to look outside the ram, like HDD speed, and chip set speeds, there are alot of factors that make speed.
The biggest one is how much $$$$ you want to spend.

As crater stated, just be sure to get the same speed as your other memory sticks...for consistency.

Not sure of your location, but definitely give a look to Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/

Their prices are just as cheap as the stores, and they ship FedEx second day for free. If you subscribe to ZDNet, they just sent out a holiday bonus 15% promotion.

That and checkout RASTABT's post:

http://www.cdrbase.com/showthread.php?threadid=24910

The main concern is how much your board can handle, and what OS you are running. IMHO, I have always opted for two 256s instead of one 512 because if one of your sticks dies on you, your machine will still function (it runs off the other stick). With just one stick of 512, if it goes your machine is inoperable until Crucial sends a replacement...yep, lifetime warranty from Crucial.

Give it a look...later

*edit*

Sorry RASTABT, just noticed that you already referenced your other post, it is a good one so I will leave it in mine anyways...feel free to edit it if an admin feels its unnecessary.:)

Last edited:
mag046 no probs bro why should I edit it.:D
these things happen but it's not as if it's a double posting.
Thanks for your help,:)