modem problem

i bought a modem with an intel chipset for an uncle its an old computer with win xp on it his old modem was fried during a lightning storm

now when i try to connect it hangs or connects but wont transfer data and drop the connection after a few min. after this i took it to my pc and the same thing happend. i took it back to the shop and they gave me a new one and once again it's acting the same.

might the pci slot been damaged when the modem got fried, and screwed both of theese up??

and another thing i bought him some more ram and in the 3rd dim no module will fit

malbolgia said:
i bought a modem with an intel chipset for an uncle its an old computer with win xp on it his old modem was fried during a lightning storm

now when i try to connect it hangs or connects but wont transfer data and drop the connection after a few min. after this i took it to my pc and the same thing happend. i took it back to the shop and they gave me a new one and once again it's acting the same.

might the pci slot been damaged when the modem got fried, and screwed both of theese up??

and another thing i bought him some more ram and in the 3rd dim no module will fit
Open hyperterminal, and check if the thing accepts the basic AT commands or returns error messages. If the second happens, it may need a special initialization string (consult the manual).

can you not test this in another pci slot !?

maby saying that if its the same on your system then maby if the slots damaged it maby blew the new modem too !?
only way to test is take that one back and tell them it was D.O.A dead on arrival and it does not work get it exchanged test it on yer own system 1st then if its working then try in another pci slot on your uncles system :)

the problem is i dont remember on which pci slot i tested the modem in and i dont want to kill another.

is there any way to see if the pci is damaged??

PCI slot is NOT damaged at your puter- I can assure you... a toast PCI peripheral cannot toast the slot if it doesn't use external power supply.

Not to be a spoilsport :) but i have had lots of problems with pci modems. A guy i know have gone through seven different cards :D
The most reliable (imho) is the external kind. Advice you to try one, might save you some time:)

Think it can be an old type memory slot (you say its an old mb) dont remember what their called though :)

Edit:simms is the name i was looking for, thx LTR12101B

Last edited:
ok scarecrow i hope you are right

and i managed to fit the ram but the mobo only gets to 192 mb and leaves 64 out

i placed in the first dim a 64mb in dim 2 128 mb and in 3 another 64

Find or download the motherboard manual!
A wierd issue with DIMMS (and previously with SIMMS) is banking.
A 64 tends to be ONE bank, while a 128 usually presents as two banks of 64 - with 3 sockets, and maybe a chipset that only drives 4 banks, there may be strict placement rules for double banked DIMMS - trying it on it's own, to see if it gets 128 in any socket, may prove useful.

256Mb are the other major troublespot - as they have "high density" (Single sided), which present as a single bank and are unusable with chipsets having a 128Mb bank limit (eg. AMD750 Irongate), or "low density" (double sided) presenting as two 128Mb banks - awkward for chipsets with limited numbers of banks.

Back in the days of SIMM, the 8Mb (which presented as 2 banks of 4) was often impossible to load a 486 system to capacity with .... I remember a system which had two 8's and needed extra, and with 2 spare sockets, it looked easy - but the perishing think only supported 4 banks, and was FULL! - had to swap them with something else.