modchip law change ?

bmw3

Hi all,can anyone tell me if the law on modchip fitting has changed as my local fitter has told me he can no longer fit modchips as it is nolonger legal is this right ?. :confused:

im afraid so for us unlucky uk people :(

The selling of "mod chips" for Sony PlayStation 2 game consoles has been ruled illegal by a UK high court.

Mr Justice Laddie backed Sony's legal argument that its intellectual property was being infringed by people selling the chips to console owners.

The ruling is thought to be one of the first brought under a controversial European Union directive on copyright.

Sony brought its case against a man called "mr x" who was accused of selling about 1,500 "Messiah" mod chips.

In the High Court, Mr Justice Laddie ruled that "Mr x" was acting illegally in selling the chips which get around the built-in copy protection system on Sony's console.

As well as declaring the sale of the mod chips illegal, Mr Laddie said that the use, advertising or possession of them for commercial purposes should be considered illegal too.
:(

name changed in this post altho common knowledge when googled we respect these people wherever possible :)

bmw3

modchip law change

Thankyou for reply is there anyway round this ? E.G. can i order a chip from the U.S.A. or can a U.K. firm give one away as a free gift when buying other items from them ?. :mad: