Mobydock

dx

If you are like me and play in both the MAC and PC worlds, you may find yourself trying to setup your systems to match eachother to make it easy on yourself.

Personally, I love the Apple OSX Jaguar interface..... clean and simple. I have found myself trying to emulate the interface on my WinXP PC for some time now. The "windows" have been easy to emulate but it's the Docking station is my favorite aspect of OSX. I have tried some emulation proggies like Stardock's Object Dock, but have not been happy with the results. That is until now.

The dock program is called Mobydock and can be found here.....
http://www.mobydock.tk/

Attachments

Looks interesting even if you DON'T have a particular operating system preference...

Is that a roll or zoom as you point to the icons?

dx

LTR12101B said:
Is that a roll or zoom as you point to the icons?
Both actually. It emulates OSX..... as you roll across it, it zooms in (magnifies is a better word). It even bounces (like it does in OSX) when you click on it.

But creating the shortcuts is easy..... just drag and drop. You can even create a Start menu icon (like I have). Mind you my taskbar is still around..... it's just "hidden" along the top. Just move past it and it appears.

dx

If anyone gets stuck or want to know how to do it, just let me know. ;)

Check out the links on Moby's website. There are some great links to .png files (which look much better than .ico files).

Also look for the DX9 beta that is only at the Mobydock forum link. If you have DirectX 9 installed, Mobydock is much faster..... although I have found that it can slow down Direct 3D games a little. So I just turn it off when playing a D3D game and on again when I exit the game ;) It's still a beta, so give Moby some time to work out the kinks.

Great fun! :)

banzibaby said:
Pity it only works on win2000&XP:(
Blast!

Is that a definite NO, or they just don't bother testing it on anything else?

It does seem to be more common in "Desktop enhancements" - maybe Win9x/ME lacks a crucial hook - I know transparency is often a 2000.XP only feature in some apps, though others manage to produce it in Win9x

Well i tried unstalling it on win98se, but couldnt cause of missing files & such.This was the full install inc dll files, but me sure the readme says win2000/XP only.U can always try it

BaNzI:)

Is it multi-user "oriented"?

I know that StarDock's ObjectDock isn't, so I have to install it 2 times for 2 different users to be able to have 2 different settings (like for opening the right netscape e-mail user...)

dx

There is a new version BTW...... MobyDock DX

Full customizable dock
- Change all icons and background appearence
Animations
- start, auto-hide, icon bouncing, sliding and magnification mouse over animations
Easy of Use
- Add and remove items by Drag & Drop
- Open / Show / Minimize functionality when items are clicked
- Image List view for icon selection
- Contextual menus
- Drag & drop functionality for copying/moving files to a folder item
- Drag & drop functionality for launching application files
Contextual popup menus
- Item properties
- Folder menus
- Recycle Bin menu
- Media Players menu (Winamp, Windows Media Player, QCD, Sonique)
- New Instance, Stay in Dock, Lock item, Close item features
Full taskbar funcionality
- All running applications and folders are shown in MobyDock
- Snapshots when taskbar-items get minimized
- Set your custom image for every application, folder or drive
- Ignore-list for taskbar-items
POP3 e-mail checker with notification for up to three POP3 mail accounts

http://www.mobydock.tk/

Have fun! ;)