Microsoft: no patches for pirates

Argh, matey! Where be me <s>eye</s> patch? As we've been expecting, Microsoft has finally said that they will be using their Windows Genuine Advantage program to deny software pirates access to Windows Update. The program will start in the middle of this year, although you may have noticed that the validation tools popped up on Microsoft websites as early as September of last year. Straight from the Spanish War Galleon, Redmonia:

REDMOND, Wash. -- Jan. 26, 2005 -- In 2005, Microsoft Corp. plans to enhance its anti-piracy engineering, education and enforcement efforts by expanding the Windows® Genuine Advantage program. Windows Genuine Advantage checks the authenticity of a user's software and provides access to popular software and other benefits, helping consumers and businesses ensure that they are receiving the greater reliability, faster access to updates, and richer user experiences offered by genuine Windows XP software.

Will Poole, senior vice president of the Windows Client Business at Microsoft, had all of the standard things to say about piracy.

"Software piracy costs customers, software vendors and national economies billions of dollars every year. The best way to fight software piracy is to ensure that users recognize and receive all the benefits of genuine software," he said.

The PR machine went on to cast WGA has a pro-consumer initiative that would protect us poor souls from the dangers of counterfeit software, which include, and I quote, "an inferior computing experience, viruses and other vulnerabilities that can result from counterfeit software." The curious thing about this bravado is that, well, that's not really true. Pirated software is no more susceptible to these things than legit software. Until WGA, that is. WGA will have the explicit effect of making this ominous statement true, however, in that the program could deny pirated software users access to the patches that would otherwise at least grant them a modicum of protection.

Under the current plan, validated genuine Windows users will have unfettered access to Windows Update, and Microsoft's Download Center. Those that are not validated will not have direct access to Windows Update or the Download Center. However, "to help customers who may require more time to move to genuine Windows software," un-validated users will continue to receive automatic updates of critical patches, if their computer is configured to receive them. Per Microsoft's wording, it is clear that this may be yanked at any given time.

Users who are validated by WGA will get some freebies from Microsoft, however:

New software incentives, valued at more than $450 (U.S.), will be added for users of genuine Windows software who take part in the program, including these:
  • Microsoft Photo Story 3 for Windows
  • Winter Fun Pack 2004
  • Fifty percent off a selection of MSN® Games by Zone.com
  • Six-month trial of Microsoft Office OneNote® 2003
  • Fifty percent off hosted Windows SharePoint® Services
  • Fifty percent off Microsoft List Builder service
  • Thirty percent off the new Microsoft Office Outlook® Live service
(I'll try and constrain my excitement until I can suit up later and head outside and make joyous snow angels!)

The company will also launch a pilot program in dens of intellectual property thievery such as China, the Czech Republic, and err, Norway. The program will allow users to purchase a genuine version of Windows at a reduced rate should they discover they've been duped.

Of course, the high-seas of piracy are complex and treacherous. WGA will undoubtedly have some positive effects. For one, small system builders who are pirating Windows and then selling computers to unsuspecting people will have at least another hurdle to jump through. Any brick and mortar operation doing this on the sly will have to stop, or risk infuriating customers who later find out they've been had. Those who traffic only in pirated versions of Windows will undoubtedly continue to do so, but soon they may find a less-gullible market.

Your typical "personal pirate" who hacks his one version of Windows for all 5 of his computers will likely be unhampered by this. WGA currently has no provisions from preventing users from obtaining patches via alternate means, and it's only a matter of time until WGA can be manipulated the same way Windows Product Activation has been manipulated (and thus, the piracy continues).

Ars Technica

YEAH just been reading up on this here in the UK

YOU will no longer be able to ACTIVATE windows via the NET as keys are easily stolen or found .. this will leave the Responsibility down to the distributor or retailer to pre activate the windows before sales ..

which will mean a HUGE problem for those wanting to clean install from scratch or migrate to a second machine or even adding a second HD or other such upgrade this will render the system usless :mad:

On the activation issue...

I thought they were ONLY denying the online activation for keys assigned to OEM BIOS-Locked (non-activation unless significantly changed), since it would be fairly unusual for someone purchasing a typically hard to upgrade "major OEM" to make the kind of upgrades that require activation.

The reason is obvious - they consider the possibility that you are actually using the locked OEM serial on another system which does require authentication, so some fast talking will be required - not sure if you can switch an OEM key of that type to another base unit, if the original OEM unit is scrapped or no longer running Windows.

LTR12101B said:
The reason is obvious - they consider the possibility that you are actually using the locked OEM serial on another system which does require authentication, so some fast talking will be required - not sure if you can switch an OEM key of that type to another base unit, if the original OEM unit is scrapped or no longer running Windows.
I would bet not. I bet its in the fine print when you bought the over priced box.:eek:

Personally, I couldn't care less. My Arch Linux (desktop) and Kanotix (laptop), as well as my Slackware 10.1 server run gorgeously 24/7 and requiring no activations at all!

scarecrow said:
Personally, I couldn't care less. My Arch Linux (desktop) and Kanotix (laptop), as well as my Slackware 10.1 server run gorgeously 24/7 and requiring no activations at all!
That sounds great and no dought I see linux as a better OS. Infact I bet any OS is better then windows. But I have one question can I play the latest games (HalfLife2, Doom3) on Linux?

mmm yeah i think,u'll need the latest wine-x to run it....
haven't tried gaming on tux yet,but it is feasible..have a cyber cafe in my country which runs exclusively on linux distros,n so r the lan gaming i think

Winex runs some games, but far less actually than it claims... besides that the performance is less than stellar due to the emulation.
But there are a few very popular games, which have been ported natively to Linux (using OpenGL 3D algos) and I can assure you that they run gorgeously! If more people begin running Linux, then it's sure that more and more games will see a native Linux port of them- coding is not much more difficult, in fact OpenGL is rather less demanding than DirectX for soft coders.
By the way FYI both Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 have NATIVE Linux ports, no need for an emulator at all! :)

Last edited:
It seems that Linux is nibbling away at Microsoft's dominace, and with each bite it takes, there is more reason for other companies to jump in and support it - of Course, for games this would generally mean OpenGL, and not Microsoft-proprietary DirectX.

The negative, for many who would produce for Linux, is the potential proportion of "purist" users who would never consider anything less than 100% GPL opensource - after all, a large part of the appeal of Linux is that you CAN deploy additional 100% GPL installations at no extra cost, or purchase as much documentation and support as you require.

Maybe a more feasible model for Linux gaming, is subscription based online play, and for "professional" products, paid support & paper manuals - there is nothing like having a REAL book to thumb through, and while online manuals are better for indexing and searching, they lack a certain something for reading.

chickencandle

I think Linux users are warming up to the idea of using non-open source stuff. This is likely to be especially true for gamers. My thoughts are that there is no problem with vendors offering prducts for Linux that you have to pay for, but you don't have to buy them if you're a purist :)