microsoft download site is it !!!!!!!!!!!

earlybird-rfc

Hi all. been to the microsoft download site, and it give me the blaster worm bug. so is it safe to use this site 4 future upgrades. and does ms know its riddled with bugs. thanx 4 input :( new member

earlybird-rfc said:
Hi all. been to the microsoft download site, and it give me the blaster worm bug. so is it safe to use this site 4 future upgrades. and does ms know its riddled with bugs. thanx 4 input :( new member

Are you 100% sure you cought Blaster on MS site?!

earlybird-rfc

Hi. i put a new installation win xp pro. went to ms site to load new drivers and update. so i can't see it coming from anywhere else. new mobo new h/drive new everything. thanx 4 replying.

Last edited:
U can get that worm from anywhere, even as soon as U connected, did U have updated antivirus & a firewall running when u got the updates ???

BaNzI :D

New rule for fresh installed OS:

Install a Firewall BEFORE connecting to internet!!!

Those virus scan internet for unprotected computers and infect them without any user knowledge or action...

Just being connected to internet is enough to being infected...

If it wasn't to hard to install, disconnect physicaly your computer from any network, reinstall XP, install a decent firewall (I'm using Agnitum's Outpost wich is great, Zone Alarm has a free one (I think?)) and after this you can connect your computer to the network/internet...

I got cought too this summer; minute fresh installation on XP, and then got the virus...

Reinstalled everything after disconnecting the computer from my router...

read info here posted by me http://dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=31702&highlight=msblast

in particular this part....

As an experiment security firm F-Secure put an unprotected PC on the net to see how quickly it would be infected.

Early on Tuesday it took about five minutes 30 seconds before the machine was found and infected. But by 3pm the same PC was being found and infected in 27 seconds.

all it takes is less than half a minute to be infected so chances are by the time you had even surfed the net to microsoft update ...YOU were already infected with MSBLAST :(

Tallies with what I've read....

In the time it takes to download the update which prevents Blaster infection - you will probably have caught Blaster!
Download the update using another (protected) machine if possible, and apply before taking any system online ... this update is one that is apparently included in the "Rollup" package.

Is XP's own Firewall strong enough if enabled?

PS. I am no longer aware of the current force of Blaster, as my ISP (controversially) has blocked this and a number of other ports - MOST controversially, also one of the higher numbered "trojan" ports that COULD be reached in normal use.

I'm not sure if XP's firewall would be enought...

having a firewall before connecting is the only way: install firewall (I sugjest Outpost), then connect to internet, then browse windows update...

Laz

Agreed, I always install a firewall on any new O/S install before connecting to the web to get M$ updates. Though with AutopatcherXP and next month the first releases of Autopatcher2000 & Autopatcher2003 there is no need to have to d/l the updates any more so long as you have a copy of the apropriate software on disc. :)

Harry O

earlybird-rfc said:
As others have mentioned you acquired the bug by simply logging onto the Internet. It had nothing to do with the ms site. You might want to visit my M8 Jim Eshelman's page on this issue to learn how to best protect yourself http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

Laz

Hey Harry nice to see you here! :)

And though Harry may be too modest himself here is the link to his superb Windows site which IMHO should be the first port of call for any Windows troubleshooting or guides:- http:// www.webtree.ca/