Messiah2 vs. Magic3.X

I'd like to hear some feedback on which chip to purchase, from your personal experiences. Thanks for your time. By the way, i'm sure that the DMS3 is the way to go, but I'm concerned with these two chips for now.

messiah 2 is a low voltage chip like dms3 so in theory it will do less damage (i say in theory as i've not found the previous chips have caused a problem) but since the magic series chips are clones of the messiah anyway i'm sure magic 4 will be low voltage too ;)

many people are reporting problems with their magic 3.x chips, and as ABCMan has said, they are basically clones of the messiah's anyway.

I would advise you, if you have the choice, to go for the messiah :)

BG1

KB38 said:
By the way, i'm sure that the DMS3 is the way to go,
The DMS3 hasn't done as good as everyone expected.....

Take a look at this review of the chip....(Done by Charlie_PS2)

DMS3 REVIEW IN v8 PS2
Here is the game test result for the DMS3 v1.1 tested on NTSC v8 model: SCPH-39006 BIOS 090 GH-022.

Please note that the update disk had to be created using specially padded files supplied by Divineo (who were very helpful). I used CDRWin to burn special cue/bin files and the upgrade worked. The upgrade cured Region Free problems.

The DMS3 v1.0 performs broadly like Magic 3.1 on PS2 games. It does not perform to the standards of Messiah 2. No DVD-R would boot and nor would some rips that wouldn't boot on Magic 3.x but did on Messiah 2. DVD9 and DVD9 backup were fine. Region Free worked fine. MM16 support was fine.

The Controller modes appeared to work although I had no way of knowing if Sleep mode worked. I scored that as a fail because it booted a backup game and did not reject an Region 1 DVD movie. Pressing EJECT for 1 second is a dodgy way of doing it and, of course, it ejects the tray. You put whatever object you wish into the disk tray and press EJECT again. You expect backup games to be rejected ans with out-of-region movies. Well that did not happen.

The Controller Modes needed the respective buttons to be pressed for 4 or 5 seconds from pressing RESET.

RSOD=Red Screen Of Death

Xenosaga DVD9 NTSC-J Direct Boot------------------------100%
Xenosaga DVD9 NTSC-J Booted behind AR2/GS2--------------100%
Gran Turismo Concept DVD9 "Silver" NTSC-J Direct Boot---100%

FF X NTSC-U DVD original---------------------OK
GTA3 PAL DVD original------------------------OK
DOA2 NTSC-J DVD Original---------------------OK

GTA3 PAL DVD-R (Princo)----------------------RSOD
Tony Hawks 3 PAL DVD-R-----------------------RSOD
Headhunter PAL DVD-R-------------------------RSOD

EA NBA Street NTSC-U CD-R--------------------OK
Twisted MB Kalisto Rip CD-R------------------OK
GT3 Rip NTSC-U CD-R--------------------------RSOD
FIFA 2002 Rip NTSC-U CD-R------------------OK
Tony Hawks 3 Rip NTSC-U CD-R----------------RSOD
Woody Woodpecker NTSC-U CD-R-----------------RSOD

FF IX NTSC-J PS1 Original--------------------OK
FF IX NTSC-U PS1 CD-R------------------------OK
Syphonfilter 3 NTSC-U PS1 CD-R---------------OK
Spyro NTSC-U PS1 Original (Anti-Mod)---------NO - needs Jap Original in Sleep mode
Spyro NTSC-U PS1CD-R (Anti-Mod)--------------NO

AR2/GS2 GTA3 Orig. With Codes----------------OK
AR2/GS2 GTA3 DVD-R With Codes----------------NO - DVD-R

Toystory NTSC-U Movie------------------------OK
PAL Movie------------------------------------Not Tested

MM16 Save/Load (GTA3 PAL Orig)----OK
Boot on EJECT--------------------------------OK
Always Boot on Reset----------------------OK
Switch off Mode------------------------------NO

My overall impression of DMS3 v1.1 on the v8 PS2 was one of disappointment principally for two reasons:

DVD-R did not work on v8 although the DMS3 site implies support. Iexpect them to work in v7 & below.

Some DVD rips on CD did not work; these work on Messiah 2 on the same PS2

My Pre-Modded Messiah 2 Pro PS2 came today and it plays all my old playstation cd rips with no problem. In the next few days I'll get my hands on some dvd rips and see what happens. But so far I'm pleased.

BG1

You won't be dissapointed.... I have yet to find a dvd-rip that won't work on my PS2 with M2...... (Assuming of course that the rip was done correctly).......

Messiah 2...... Nothing else comes close..... :)

My Pre-Modded Messiah 2 Pro PS2 played all the cd and dvd rips I threw at it without a problem. Now all I have to do now is get a dvd burner and I'm set. I'm still relying on some friends of mine for all my dvd rips. Now that I'm into PS2 it's surprising that alot of the games are still on cd's. I thought that they were all going to be dvds.